Chapter 11

Rian looked at her reflection and gazed upon the 5th dress of the day. She was laced in white, her arms in-caved in the white silk while the fabric hugged her figure. She knew this wasn't her dress, it was all wrong, she felt no tears in her eyes or the overwhelming feeling of joy running through her veins. This wasn't the dress.

Heaving a sigh, she turned slowly carful not to rip the silk that trailed behind her. Walking through the door she made her way to where her mother and brother were waiting for her fifth entrance. She caught her brother's reaction first, he had scrunched up his nose and was shaking his head lightly. He too knew it wasn't her dress. While her mother beamed and clapped her hands in joy.

"No"

"Yes"

She watched as they looked at each other and frowned. Rian just wanted out of this dress and out of this shop. Standing on the podium she faced herself in the mirror which showed the dress from every angle. James stood from his seat which caught her eye, and made his way to where she stood.

He touched her arm and helped her off the platform, he offered her a small smile and a kiss on the forehead.

"Go back to the fitting room Ri, I'll find you something" giving her a little push to the direction in which she came and made his way over to the rails of dresses.

Rian sat, once again, in the silk robe waiting patiently for the next white rag to try on. All she wanted was to go home, go home and sleep in peace. Her train of empty thoughts were interrupted by a soft knock on the door. Mumbling a small 'come in', Rian stood to meet the sale assistant who's name she learned was Allison.

She was beaming. Allison dragged in a soft white dress behind her and flung it onto the rail. She turned towards Rian and clapped her hands.

"Your brother picked this one and I must say it is divine"

Going over to the dress, Rian ran her hand down the tool of the gown, taking in its beauty. Its sweetheart neckline and 3D flowers dancing across the corset and trickling down past the waist. The soft blush undertone of the dress was everything she had wanted. The urge to wear the dress was overwhelming, looking at Allison she nodded not wanting to wait another moment.

Slipping the gown over her body and tying it up and the back, Rian looked at herself really looked. This was it. The sting in her eyes had come. Smiling to herself she turned to Allison.

"I'm ready to show them" with a slight clap the assistant opened the door to which Rian glided through white such grace and power.

Rounding the corner, the light chatter of the store stopped. Her brother looked up from his phone and froze. Her mother clasped her mouth to suspend a sob. By standers stopped their searching and eyed her with envy.

"Ri you look-" her mother started but was cut off by James

"Stunning" he stood and walked to her. Looking into her eyes he found his own becoming glassy. His once baby sister was now in a wedding dress. About to marry.

"Would you like to try a veil on too?"

"She won't need to. She will be wearing my veil" Rita came to join her children stepping into her sons arms to look at her daughter.

Rian gazed upon her reflection. Standing taller, she pushed back her shoulders. No more tears. She was Rian Blackwell. She needed to start acting like it.

"Let's go to lunch"

————
Laughing their way back into their family home dragging shopping bags behind them, Rian felt the happiest she had in days.

"Let's make some tea and find your dad he would love to see the photos of you in your dress" Rita bounced into the kitchen knowing her children would follow.

Holding back his sister he drew her into a hug.

"You looked beautiful" he pulled back and started walking to where his mother had bounced off to.

"All thanks to you James. You picked my dress" she replied with the softest of smiles.

"-and Tony wait until you see the dress! Here let me show-" walking in on her mother's conversation she stopped her.

"Mumma no!" With a jump Rita stopped. Phone mid air while Rians Farther scrunched his eyebrows. He wanted to see his baby in her dress.

"I want it to be a surprise" going over to her farther she gave him a hug. Burying her face in his chest as she once did as a child.

Releasing a sigh, Tony wrapped his arms around her. Happy she had some what forgiven him. Pulling away Rian looked up to Tony with a smile.

"If you guys don't mind I am going to catch a nap before dinner" letting go of her farther she made her way to the door.

"We have company for dinner Ri. Adam has returned early. He will be joining us with his parents" Tony wasn't sure of what her reaction would be. But she simply smiled and nodded continuing on her journey to her room.

She would not let herself be this quiet mouse any longer. It was time get back to herself and accept her fate.

Reaching her room, she removed her aids which had started to irritate her ears and the familiar emptiness greeted her. Taking a deep breath she flung herself in her bed and closed her eyes.

She could do this.