Chapter 10

Five days flew by. Days that consisted of her father moping around the house due to the snarky comments he was receiving from his family members. In those five days her mother had begun to plan the wedding, only coming to Rian to approve of her choices. In those five days she had barley seen either of her brothers as they avoided their father like the plague. In those five days she hadn't seen her new fiancé once, only hearing from him twice. Apparently he was on a business trip and wouldn't be able to contact her often. In those five days Rian had barely spoken, only to greet her family at meals.

Even though she had that amazing night with Adam, she still felt the joy fading from her everyday at the thought of marrying a man she had seen in person twice. Adam was a good guy but she didn't know him.

The wedding was coming up fast, a mere week and a half away. Her father had failed to mention when she would be sealing her fate. She had yet to pick a dress, the thought not exciting her one bit. Looking at the time, she forced herself to her feet and made her way downstairs.

"Rian" he mother's voice flowed through the hallway

"Yes mumma" Rian barely recognised her voice. It was gravely and rough and lacked it's normal up beat tone.

"You need to look over the wedding plans. Everything is done you need to make sure you're happy with everything" her mother sat and pulled a chair out next to her.

Not saying a word Rian sat down and began flicking through the pages that held the details of her day. It was being held at the family home, with the service and reception in their back garden. She had always wanted an outside wedding. She moved over to the layout of her reception, it would consist of fairy lights and flowers. It was subtle but would look magical when night fell, just like she had wanted. The blush pink theme shone through all the elements, from the back of the chair ribbons to the small icing flowers on the four tiered wedding cake. Everything was how Rian would have planned herself. It was all perfect.

She felt the emotions bubbling inside of her. The tears coming to the surface at her mother's efforts to make her day special. She flung herself into her arms letting the tears and sobs flow through her.

"I know my baby I know" coming to cup her daughters face in her hands she wiped away the tears running down Rians face.

"Did I ever tell you that me and your father had an arranged marriage" shock was evident all over Rians' face. Rita smiled and continued.

"I hated the idea. Hated my parents for making me do it. For a year I refused to even share a meal with your father let alone a bed. But eventually I gave in, I began to get to know him. We laughed and we grew as a couple and then Nathaniel came along. We grew to fall in love with each other, and we continue to fall in love everyday. You are a strong woman Rian, you are my daughter you see and I know you may hate your father right now and want to stay as far away from Adam as possible but give this a try. You may just fall in love"

Rian wouldn't say anything she just looked at her mother, she couldn't believe it. Her parents were so in love, always had been. Would she ever be in that place that her mother and father were in, with Adam? Would they grow to love each other?

Nodding at her mother she looked back at her wedding that sat in the form of paper. Picking up the plans for the reception, she scribbled down an idea before turning back to her mother and handing her the piece of paper. Giving her a warm smile in return, Rita kisses her daughter on the forehead before standing up.

"Come on baby. We need to go get you a wedding dress" her mother left no room for arguments.

Nodding, Rian followed her out the kitchen meeting her brother James in the hall.

"Where are you guys going?" He trailed behind them, curious at his sister's sudden willingness to leave the house.

"We are going dress shopping then to lunch" Rita gave her son a kiss on the cheek before turning towards the door.

"Lunch? Can I come" despite her brothers closed off and hard exterior, when it came to food he became a teenage boy who simply couldn't resist.

Rita smiled and handed the car keys to James and linked her arm through Rians and dragged her out the door.

———————

White.

White. White was all she could see. From white lace to white sequins, It consumed everything around her. Rian traced her fingers lightly over a rack of dresses to her left feeling overwhelmed by the pure colour.

"Jesus" she heard her brother whisper as he loosened his tie.

Her mother clapped her hands out of excitement and walked over to a store assistant. Taking in a deep breath, Rian slowly began looking through a dress rack pulling out ones that slightly caught her eye.

"Hi there you must be Rian, your mother tells me you're looking for a dress today" turning around to face the store assistant she smiled and nodded.

"Right if you'd like to follow me I have a changing room ready for you, your mums told me about some styles you'd like to try on" following the red head, Rian turned back to her brother who gave her a slight wave as he sat in the plush chair.

"If you'd like to change into the robe I'll go out and get you a few dresses"

Looking at herself in the mirror, she threw her bag onto the chair and began to change into 'bride' silk robe that was hanging over the mirror.

Today was going to be a long day