XXXIV - Dead Or Alive

6 days before the job

⚜️

Blaise is standing in front of the door, waiting patiently. And it's been terrifying all of us.

I have no idea what is about to happen but I'm so psyched to see it. This makes me feel like a bad person.

Oh well Minnie seems to have lost that side of her conscience as she holds her camera in her hands, waiting to film stuff.

Fahad is making a fresh fruit salad for Pandora, and Rey will not stop staring at him like he's from outer space, angrily muttering something about Batman.

Kai is, oh my God, she is sitting on the couch. The kitchen cabinet just has a Power Ranger action figure on top of it which most likely belongs to Monique.

Kai is so polite to let the power ranger sit there.

Alby is studying the floor plans with Dhara, Ariadne has gone back to sewing security costumes, Elara is painting the important object, and Cassie is most probably reading that A rated book whose cover makes Yuri giggle like a fifteen year old every time.

Cassie said it's for educational purposes. And I'm married to Shrek.

I just lean on the bookshelf, mindlessly flipping through one of my books. Trying to concentrate when my mind is racing a million miles per hour. The day is coming, and we don't know how to lift the ring, or get the fuck out of here. The only thing we have been successful at, is infiltration. And wasting the funds.

I massage my forehead, trying to make sense of everything. To try and find a way to tie it all up. The long corridors are stupid. The privately owned rooms are stupid. The security team is stupid. The vault in which the ring is stored is stupid.

I am stupid.

For thinking this would work in two weeks. This fucking project needs two months.

I thought we were ready.

The door bursts open and Yuxian steps in with a smile, "I missed all of you very sincerely, the last two hours!"

"Drinking buddy!" Rey tries to hug him but he dodges it for his own sake.

And then Yuri rushes in, and bound by habit, goes and gives Rey a hug, tight enough to actually break Rey.

"Where's the annoying one?" Kai asks Yuxian who just smiles at her.

"Good morning, or should I say, evening?" Yuxian greets Kai, and she flings a throw pillow at him.

"Yeah, where is Jian?" Minnie asks, wide-eyed, gripping the camera tightly. Oh my her left eye is twitching, that's how impatient she is.

"He uh went to the beach...?" Yuxian's eyes move from side to side. Guilty freak. His tell is the easiest one to recognise damn.

I love doing that. Finding that one telltale sign that the person is lying.

Minnie takes a quick sharp breath before she lies; Blaise takes a short pause, different from the long pauses she usually takes to answer questions; Yuri closes her eyes for ten milliseconds; Pandora clicks her tongue; Dharuna wipes her brow; Monique tries to not speak in French; Elara scratches the back of her neck; And Rey... Her entire posture changes.

Now Alby and Cassandra, I have no fucking clue. It drives me nuts that I can't figure out their tell. But that's the special talent of my grifters.

And when Jian lies... He leans on his left foot.

"Okay then, I'll check the beach," Blaise tries to go out of the door when she is pulled back by Rey.