XXI

Chapter Twenty-One:
Tired

Moon-jo kicks his things into a corner not wanting anybody to find it and grabs both kids hands walking them to the mini market, where he finds almost everyone gathered around.

Before he could walk through the door he was shoved to the side.

"Stop! Did you think we wouldn't notice food missing? I want my share!"

It was some human he had never interacted with before, he smelled of fear and desperation. Something that no one in this new world will survive with.

Moon-jo rolled his eyes sensing where this conversation would lead to.

Pulling both children away from the clearly deranged man he put Yeong-su into Su-yeong's arms.

The panicked man kept rambling about keys until Moon-jo finally spun him around clocking him in the nose, just before his friend could.

"Ah! Shut up will you? There are children present and if you scare my little stars I'll pull out your teeth and make them into gifts for them." He pulled the man closer. "Understood?"

Instead of a verbal answer he just nodded his head letting out shaky breaths, making Moon-jo grin and push him away. Face slipping back into an emotionless void.

He reached his hands out towards his children and clicked his tongue.

"We're leaving now little stars. I was going to get you both a small snack but it seems teaching you how to make more jewlery would be fulfilling!"

In this moment the eyes of others didn't bother him. In this moment his only focus were the two children who he had been attached to since the day he was retrieved from his apartment.

Promises ran through his head.

Promises of making them a better life, promises of treating them like the angels they were, promises of being the father they most desperately needed.

Promises that he wouldn't end up like his own father and ruin the two stars of his life forever.

Pretty boy and silky hair didn't quite matter right now. They had each other they didn't need him.

"Mister Moon, are you our dad now?" Yeong-su spoke up fiddling with a tooth ring. His question made his big sister freeze up, and made Moon-jo laugh.

The 19 year old shook his head.

"I may think of you as my children now but you two may think of me as a big brother!" His smile put both children at ease.

How could he ever even think of leaving these two kids?

They have the rest of the survivors.

They don't really need you.

You'll never give them what they need.

You are nothing but a monster Seo Moon-jo.

The voices only got louder.

Despite how he held the little boy in his lap, or how the girl in front of him rambled about her life before the infestation he couldn't get rid of the voices.

He closed his eyes sensing the familar darkness that came with his black eyes. Though he kept a smile on his face and made idle conversation with the children in front of him not wanting to scare him.

Then the ache in his back started up.

Do you think you can protect them from us?

We'll get to them soon enough.

We'd love to see their blood on our hands.

Love to see their dead bodies.

Love to hear your cries of pain.

After realizing that you've destroyed your only retribution.

They hurt. It hurt. Everything hurt.

Moon-jo had never had the urge to hurt children, he never wanted harm to come to those who had never done wrong in their life.

Children were innocent creatures. It wasn't their fault they were born into such a horrible world that would tear them up and eat them whole.

And even though the thoughts were not his own, it left a knot in his stomach.

A knot he was determined to get rid of.

He took a long breath slowly opening his eyes. The heaviness in his chest and the ringing in his ears cleared at the sight of his little stars working away on their new jewelry.

It made him smile.

Even if he was a cruel and unusual man he would never be evil, not as long as he had these two.

a/n

a/n

posting two chapters to make up for not posting last week