Chapter 11 Viv

I wave to Lynny and Cam as they leave to go get pizza. It's too bad that the Jacks and Shawn are on tour.... Either way, that leaves me, Carter, Matt, Aaron, Nash and his girlfriend, Taylor... And Hayes. Yes, I'm sort of avoiding him. Yes, it's stupid. Why? Because... Well... There's kind of a tension between us after we got interrupted. But I can't really let that bother me, when the waves are really cresting about now.

Still holding my board, I head out to the water. If it gets dark, it gets dark. I'm still surfing. As I run into the water, I can make out someone riding the current wave. They're not bad. A little shaky, but with the wave they're on, who could help that?

I paddle out to my resting position, and I finally see who's surfing. So much for avoiding Hayes. Once he finally flicked out, I went on alert for any good waves. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw two things: Hayes surfacing and paddling towards me, and a little tiny swell.

But as I watch, the swell gets bigger. Grinning, I paddle right past Hayes. I just needed one more wave to get through the night, and this was the one. I watch the swell grow, and I take my chance.

I duck-dive, then push myself up onto my feet, steadying myself. Riding the wave, I close my eyes and feel the rush of the wind on my arms and legs. When I finally flick out and wash up on shore, I'm laughing and really, really happy.

"Nice wave." I hear Hayes' voice behind me. His board's gone somewhere, and I can't help but notice how good his hair looks cut.

Ducking my head and looking at the ground, I absentmindedly tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. "Same to you."

I start to walk away from him, towards the glowing bonfire, when he grabs my wrist and pulls me to back. I drop my board as his arm goes around my waist, and his other hand cups my cheek. My eyelids flutter shut and his lips are on mine. Without even thinking, I kiss him back.

Before I know it, Hayes lets me go, a smirk on his face.

"You have no idea how badly I wanted to do that... Mermaid."

And with another smirk, he's gone. Leaving me shocked, yet completely delighted. A small smile spreads across my face.

He likes me.

That thought in my head, I pick up my surfboard and head to the firelight.