Prelude

KIM HAJOON'S JOURNAL ENTRY:
SAT, DEC 12TH, 2020. 2:01 PM KST.
Incheon Airport Terminal 2, International Departure Gate 5.

This is Kim Ha Joon. Born in Yongin-si, Gyeonggi Province, just outside of Seoul. I am 21 years old, a final year student at University of the Arts London, completing my Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Degree in Graphic Communication Design.

Today is Saturday, December 12th, 2020. I have tested negative for COVID-19, and right now I am waiting for this Korean Air flight KE 907 to take me to London Heathrow. Finally...

I have been stuck in Korea for almost half a year since I returned here last summer. My friends and housemates told me not to leave, but I didn't listen. It was–still is–a global pandemic anyway, and I should not have been stuck in a foreign country, halfway around the globe, away from my family. Hence, I returned home, thinking that I'd return to the UK after the summer ended just in time for the fall semester, but... I guess they're right.

International travel was banned, only lifted earlier this month. I heard that the UK was announcing another lockdown yesterday, but somehow they are still allowing international travel from several countries, South Korea is one of them. Lucky me.

The only downside to this pandemic traveling is the quarantine. Ten–frickin'–days! Ten days locked up inside a hotel room, all alone. Ah well... At least I can study. I need to return my research paper as soon as I reach the campus back. I can use the time.

Also, there's the TV, there's the internet and social media. The Premier League is also back on, and I'm excited to watch my fellow Korean Son Heung Min tore up other clubs' defenses too. Right. Who am I to complain? I should be thankful. At least I'll be out of the room before Christmas.

Ah. That's the boarding call. I guess I'll write again in this journal after I reach London. You'll be my only friend for the next 10 days anyway, Journal-nim. I guess choosing you from the bookstore is the right idea. Wish me a safe flight! Gosh... 12 hours and 15 minutes. What movies will be playing?