1.4 Closing doors

Isadora gathered with Newt, Minho and Alby by the maze doors. It was five minutes till they opened, and the girl was tieing her lace up.

"Okay, Newt I trust you to look after everyone while we're gone." Alby stated, making Newt nod his head.

"We won't be gone long." Minho said. "I'll take you to where Ben was stung, then we're coming back."

"Okay." Isadora stated standing up, before she looked at Alby. "You sure you can keep up?"

Alby just shook his head at her before giving Newt a pat on the shoulder as the doors rumbled.

"Be careful." Newt warned the girl as they hugged quickly.

"I always am Newt." She smiled as she looked over to the hammocks. "Look after Chuck."

"I will, don't worry." Newt promised as the doors opened. "See you later."

"Bye, Newt." She whispered. "Alright, let's go." She chuckled as they jogged into the maze.

Later, Thomas sat on a fallen tree as Chuck leaned on it- still carving. Meanwhile, Newt and zart worked to cut the rest of a tree down with their machetes.

"But, why would Alby go into the maze? He's not- he's not a runner." Thomas stated.

"It's different. Alby went to re-trace Ben's footsteps before sun down. Look are you gonna help?" Newt asked as he pointed his machete to the small tree trunk— which was a little taller than him.

"What? So he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung?" Thomas questioned as Newt interrupted him.

"Look, Alby knows what he's doing alright. He's knows better than any of us." Newt explained before he turned back to work.

"What does that mean?" Thomas asked, making Newt stop and become slightly annoyed with the greenie.

"Alright, it's like you've heard, yeah? Every month the box sends up a new arrival. Someone had to be first, right. Someone would've had to spent a whole month alone in the glade." Newt explained. "That was Alby."

"I mean it couldn't have been easy." Newt explained as he hit the tree with his machete. "But after those boys started to come up, one after the other he saw the truth. And he learnt the most important thing is that we all have each other. We're all in this together."

Thomas looked at Newt then Chuck, before he got up. He went over to the boys and began to help them as he swung his machete at the tree.

"Yeah, there you go greenie." Newt praised.

After this they went to lunch, as dark clouds hovered over the glade. Rain began to pour, making each glader bring things in for shelter.

It had been a little while as it continued to rain, and the three that went to re-trace Ben's footsteps were supposed to be back. But they hadn't returned yet.

Thomas stood, leaning against one of the support beams as he watched the rain.

"They should be back by now." Thomas stated as he watched the maze entrance. "What happens if they don't make it?" Thomas questioned, worried for the Isadora.

"They're gonna make it." Newt stated as he leaned against a support beam, arms crossed behind his back.

"What happens if they don't?" Thomas asked as he moved next to the blonde boy.

"They're gonna make it." Newt repeated, trying to reassure not only Thomas– but himself too. They were all his friends, his family.

After the rain had stopped, all the gladers gathered near the entrance of the maze. Each one hoping and praying the three would make it back in time.

Thomas stood with Newt and Gally at the front of the group, watching intently as they waited. All extremely nervous. Chuck then joined them, wanting his friends to come back.

"Guys, can't we send someone after them?" Thomas asked as he heard a clank.

"No, it's against the rules. Either they make it back or they don't." Gally stated from his crouched position.

"Can't risk losing anyone else." Newt added as his stroked one of his crossed arms out of habit.

They felt the wind blow towards them, signaling that the doors would start closing any second now.

"No." Chuck whispered as the walls slowly began to move to each other.

They were too late.

"There." Thomas pointed. He saw the three come around a corner as fast as they could. Isadora and Minho were carrying Alby, who was unconscious, with a struggle.

"Wait, no something's wrong." Newt stated, as he watched them carry Alby, one of his arms around each of them.

"Come on guys you can do it!" Chuck encouraged, making the rest of the gladers join in.

The two dropped Alby and began to drag him by his feet.

"Come on." Minho encouraged, seeing the girl become exhausted.

The gladera shouted things like:
'You can do it'
'You gotta leave him'

But they couldn't leave Alby behind. They wouldn't. Even if it became harder and harder.

"They're not gonna make it." Newt said, his heart breaking slightly.

Thomas watched helplessly as Minho and Isadora dropped Alby again. His ears were filled with the gladers shouting as the walls got closer together.

In a final moment Thomas done something stupid.

He ran.

He ran in-between the walls. He squeezed through as Newt tried to grab him. He pushed himself through the walls, trying to get inside the maze.

"Thomas no!" The boy heard someone shout. All the gladers shouted at him in panic.

And just as the doors shut— Thomas made it through. He collapsed onto the ground and looked at the doors.
He then looked to the three.

Minho was sitting, breathing heavily. Alby layed unconscious with a cut on his head. And Isadora layed on her back, sweat coating her face as she breathed heavily.

"Good job." Minho said sarcastically. "You just killed yourself."

Sorry for the short chapter, the next one should be longer this was more like a filler chapter.

Thx for reading.
Please vote.
Have a gd day.

1005 words.