3.9 Last Stand

They began their journey again, Gally in the front with his gun up as Minho and Thomas carried Newt- Isadora in the middle.

"Hold on, we're almost there." Gally assured.

"Just leave me." Newt muttered.

"No, never." Isadora stated firmly, a car on fire then flew down the road making them stumble back. "Back. Get back."

They crouched down, hiding behind the wall. Men cheered as they ran past, fighting to the death. Isadora looked up when she beard the Berg, smiling in slight relief. They watched as it went past.

Newt had gotten worse. His veins were more prominent, black bile dripping from his mouth as his eyes became darker.

"Okay, that's them. We gotta go." Thomas stated. Newt tried to ptorest, tell them to leave but a croaky cough cut him off. "Minho, you gotta run ahead and get the serum. Get back to us as soon as you can." Minho gave him a look. "Minho, go."

"He's right, I can cover." Gally assured.

"You too, Dory." Thomas looked over and she shook her head.

"No, I'm not leaving you. Either of you. They got this." Isadora stated.

Newt reached forward, taking Minho's hand in his for a moment. "Thank you. Thank you." He breathed.

"Hey, you just hang on, you hear me?" Minho said before getting up.

Isadora watched as Gally and Minho ran off, turning her attention back to Newt. He seemed spaced out, causing worry to fill her.

"Newt! Hey, hey. Newt." Isadora called out, shaking him, grabbing Thomas' attention.

"Okay, it's time to try this, but we gotta get you up and move now." Thomas informed and Isadora nodded.

"Let's go." Isadora muttered beginning to stand up.

"No, no. Thomas." Newt breathed out, pulling on his necklace.

"We really got to go." Thomas said as Newt pulled it off.

"No, take it." Newt muttered, Isadora watching with glassy eyes. "Just take it!" Newt snapped before calmly saying, "please, Tommy, please."

Thomas took the object as Newt breathed heavily. "Okay." Thomas muttered.

Newt then took of his bracelet, his head falling towards her, carefully giving her the jewellery made of leather.

"Newt-" Isadora croaked.

"No, take it. Please." He whispered and Isadora took it from his grasp. "Okay, I think it's time to go now."

"Yeah," Thomas nodded, "it will be okay." He kissed her forehead before turning to Newt. "Okay, we gotta go but we're gonna need you to give everything you've got."

They pulled Newt up, the boy groaning, trying to help as best he could.

They hurried towards the tunnels, getting to the train station. They were close to Brenda.

They maneuvered through a broken glass door, careful of the glass. Isadora's arms ached as she held onto Newt, even with the help Newt became less and less able to help the couple.

Isadora huffed as she helped Thomas. They were now in an outside area, surrounded by different lights and structures. Where Teresa had followed Thomas.

"We're almost there, hang in there." Isadora encouraged.