Chapter Twenty-One: Screams Bloody Murder.

Chapter Twenty-One: "Screams Bloody Murder."

MY CURTAINS WERE pushed to the side. The snowfall that was broadcasted to stay light all morning wasn't happening. Instead, the sight in front of me was granted with the heaviest snowfall I've seen since March. My blanket was bundled around me and my laptop was set on a pillow. I had myself right up against the headboard with clothes strewn across my bed.

I sat up further, adjusting my laptop as I listened to Yasmeen speak on video chat. Next to her on my screen, Mariam had her glasses, flicking through pictures on her camera. She had shown us the variety of pictures she had managed to take for The Cadeus, but second-year kept her busy to not take as much as she wanted to.

Yasmeen had a scowl on her face as she ended her story about her little brother, "And then mama was like, 'no it's fine' as if Abdel didn't run off in the first place."

"You're lying." Mariam and I said in sync.

"No," Yasmeen grumbled. "Was I this annoying at nine?"

"We didn't know you when you were nine." I pointed out.

"True." She mumbled, shifting her laptop so we could see her lay on her stomach on her bed.

Mariam had switched from her camera to her phone, one thumb in her mouth as she typed with her other hand. Yasmeen didn't notice, focusing on me. "You're not lonely? Or feeling lonely?"

"No," I said. "I've had company."

"Iman's been doing his job?"

"Actually, Aven has been doing Iman's job," Yasmeen's eyebrows rose. "Still can't believe you told Iman I shouldn't be alone or else I would metaphorically combust or whatever--"

"I did not say that."

"You basically did," I argued. She meant well. This was her odd way of telling me that she loved me. I wasn't objecting to it at all. 

"Well?"

"It's been a fun few days," I admitted.

"Then my work here is done." Yasmeen grinned. Her attention moved, likely to Mariam who was typing frantically on her phone, her camera now discarded.

"Mari, who has you occupied?" Yasmeen asked.

"Kyle," Mariam locked her phone, giving us her full attention.

Oh.

"You're seeing him?" Yasmeen asked.

"Actually, he's on his way to pick me up."

Oh. Well, fuck. Here goes nothing.

"How's, um—how's Kyle?" I asked her. I sounded way too enthusiastic for my liking. Or any of their liking because my best friends looked at me like I asked them what's 2 plus 2.

Mariam's eyebrows went up at my question. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," I said with a shrug. Again, more enthusiastic than I was going for. I was an idiot.

"You're asking me that like something is wrong, Jaime," Mariam said, taking her glasses off and putting them in her case.

"I'm wondering how you guys are. You're still, uh, with him, right?" Stupid question. She had said she was literally going out with him. She was getting ready as we were speaking. 

"Right," Mariam said slowly. "It's going fine. We're fine."

"Okay," I nodded excessively. This wasn't helping. Theatre never appealed to me growing up. I was not a good actor. Nor a good liar. And it showed. "Good."