Epilogue: Oh My God.

Epilogue: "Oh My God."

SIX YEARS LATER

AVEN

"WE ARE GOING TO be late," I muttered, finally finding my checkout bag from the luggage carousel. I barely had time to bring the handlebar up by the time I set it on the ground, checking my phone instead for the time.

My mom was going to kill us. Moreso, me.

"We'll be fine." My sister glanced up at me, her long curly hair swishing in its high ponytail.

Clara's sudden assertive tone wasn't a surprise. She'd spent a month with me during her summer break from school. For three of those weeks, she stayed at my apartment outside of Vancouver and the last week we spent in Port Yonge. Throughout her stay, she was determined to show me how much of an 'adult' she was despite only being on this planet for ten years.

"You're the reason for this," I said. "You know that."

"I am not." She huffed, holding onto her own checkout bag as if someone was going to snatch it as we moved through the busy airport. "I found the line we were supposed to go through. You didn't stop me."

"Because you wanted to take charge and I wanted to see if you could do it."

"Well, I did it."

"Well," I mocked. "You did it after an hour."

Clara shot me a glare. I didn't mind in the slightest, but our mom was definitely going to be pissed that we were arriving later than she expected for dinner.

As we moved through the airport, Clara boasted about what she would do when we returned back to Ontario in the future. Speaking of Ontario, I glanced down at my phone again. No call. No text. Okay, it's fine. She's fine. Everything will go smoothly. Even our announcement tonight. I sent her a text that we were landed safely.

Clara suddenly sighed dramatically when we joined another line to exit the airport. "She's going to call when she gets here, you know. She's on the flight behind us. So, calm down. You're making the face."

"I'm not making a face."

"That's why I said the face. Not 'a'. Duh."

"I'm not making the face."

"Yes, you are. It's like this," She made an expression that seemed to show worry. "This face. Everything will be fine."

I never thought I'd see the day when Clara would be the one to constantly reassure me. The same Clara whose hand I used to hold as we crossed the street from the park. Who I would pick up straight after school and who cheered in her car seat when we used to get ice cream. The Clara I calmed down when she couldn't stop crying in her crib the summer I was studying for the LSATs was reassuring me.

I was grateful to watch her grow up being nearby. To go from her calling me every day when I was doing my undergrad to being excited to see me most days throughout law school. Despite the two of us not sharing a drop of blood, Clara was my sister in every other way, shape and form.

When we finally got to the exit, people were lined up by the sides, waiting for their rides. It didn't take long for me to find ours. When I pointed at a distance, Clara whipped around to see who I was looking at before she gasped so loud. "Iman!"

She dropped her bags and bolted straight into Immanuel's arms. My friend picked her up with ease, hugging her tight to his chest.

Iman looked well. He was currently working for a tech company in Vancouver. We saw each other often especially since he was nearby. I could tell he had just come from work, plaid button-up, slacks and shoes I knew he couldn't wait to take off. I knew the feeling. I was dressed the same in terms of pants. However, my suit jacket, dress shirt and tie were ready to be taken off as soon as I walked into my parents' house.