Chapter Sixty Two

Tsubasca's high pitched voice was the first to make a comment on Maeve's recent revelation. 

"As if Overhaul would ever dirty himself with the likes of you," he spat, clearly passionate over the matter. If Maeve wasn't so frightened she would have just found that statement funny. The girl really wished she could say she was bluffing.

"What, Kai? Trust me, he can get plenty of dirt done before the hives sets in. Speaking of which, lay another finger on me and he'll recreate a Jackson Pollock on the wall with your insides" Maeve snorted, her ribs on fire. She was so, extraordinarily grateful that statement was a bluff at least. Baby face (still green from the sight of blood) frowned in confusion.  

"Who's Jackson P-" 

He was cut off with a yelp when Machete man cuffed him over the head. 

"So you're claiming One For All hasn't knocked you up and the leader of the Shie Hassaikai, a man who's never mentioned you until two days ago and finds even breathing the same air as others repulsive, is your squeeze?" Hiroto giggled.

"That's exactly what I'm saying," Maeve said calmly, heart pounding against the chilled concrete floor. Hiroto cackled in response, while the others remained silent. They weren't intelligent, any of them, but in a way that meant she was in even greater danger. Better to be up against someone like Dabi whose actions were governed by logic and so could, for the most part, be reasoned with. These new players were unpredictable because of their desperation and stupidity. 

"I took a pregnancy test earlier this fine evening and it was negative. It's in my inside pocket if you want to check." Maeve always found it easier to mix truth with lies. There was a negative test, but it was sitting waiting on her couch with a note saying 'Bite Me' as a present for Dabi. From their weary expressions, however, none of them were willing to call her bluff. Just as she'd predicted. 

"Something tells me you haven't had the pleasure of meeting Kai. Just his subordinates who pass on messages. You don't know what he wants with me, so I'd suggest you call them before you make a lethal mistake," she continued, keeping her voice level and maintaining eye contact with as many of them as she could see from the floor. They looked considerably less inclined to laughter then. 

"Do you have the phone number for the Hassaikai?"

"Hiroto?" Machete man sighed, and the drunk man fidgeted uncomfortably. 

"We're sure it's her? If it isn't they'll..."

"She knows Overhaul gets hives. I only heard about that through Rappa. How could she know?" Ribs pondered, lumbering to sit on a kitchen bench. "Why would she want us to call him if she was lying?"

"We're even for this now," Purple nose growled at Maeve, indicating his swollen face, "No need to tell the Hassaikai about a few bruises."

There was a breathless pause as Hiroto inputted in a number and waited with phone held in a trembling hand against his ear. He was clearly intoxicated, and Maeve had to wonder why the group was letting him be the one undergoing negotiations. 

"Mimic? This is Sparrow," Hiroto eventually drawled. Maeve desperately combed her memories for a Mimic but came up blank. Shei Hassaikai had had dramatic changes in the last few years, which she'd only heard snippets about from Nighteye. 

"I have something for the Hassaikai. An initiation gift. I want to talk to Overhaul."

He needed to hold the speaker at a distance to avoid the clear barrage of filth spewing from the mobile. 

"I promise it'll be worth his while. He isn't busy enough to miss this," Hiroto emphasised and Maeve had to admit he had a stupid kind of courage.