Chapter Fifty One

Hi just letting y'all know that there won't be updates for a while. Things are pretty hectic, so I'll just see how it goes and get a new chapter out when I can. Thanks for reading xx

"Just a wee taste," Maeve needled, watching Dr Shinso with a hungry expression from her REM sleep cycle pattern pillowcase. That and the stained periodic table hoodie/sweatpants combo she wore instead of pyjamas were the only possessions they'd let her keep. Indigo eyes flashed the girl a baleful look over his steaming cup, before returning to what looked like the dreariest psychological text in existence.

"Go to sleep."

"Coffee helps me sleep."

"Then the addiction is so bad you should be weaning yourself off anyway," he reasoned, taking a small sip which triggered Maeve's eye to twitch. She rolled onto her side away from him and continued with her silent pleading.

"I am. Only had two today, I deserve a reward. How do you expect me to sleep when all I can smell is fine Jamaican coffee grounds?"

"Do you want me to take it outside?"

"Nah, it'd stay on your breath anyway."

Shinso accepted that with a sigh, and they continued with a mental silence which for him was welcomed with open arms. Maeve was conducting her side of the conversation entirely with thoughts. To anyone watching behind the one-way mirror, it merely looked like he was talking at an exhausted trauma victim who wanted sleep.

"From one medical professional to another, I'm deeply disappointed. Where's your caffeine code of conduct? I even brought you the good stuff from Kenya after my tour three years ago. You owe me."

"I'd say tonight makes us even. Without coffee."

"I love coffee, I love tea

I love the java jive and it loves me

Coffee and tea and the java and me

A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup"

Maeve couldn't see Shinso, but from the rustle of paper and silence, he'd resorted to ignoring her. The girl gradually dialled up the volume of her mental singing, a skill honed through years of practice being insufferable.

"I love java, sweet and hot

Whoops, Mr. Moto, I'm a coffee pot

Shoot me the pot and I'll pour me a shot

A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup"

Her thin shoulders shook trying to contain silent laughter as Shinso's breathing became rather forced. She could tell by the way the paper sounded that he'd begun massaging a temple. The poor guy could usually only handle Maeve in hour-long doses once a week and they'd already spent the larger part of the day together. At least when she made an effort to shut her physical trap, he only needed to deal with mental barrages.

"Oh, slip me a slug from the wonderful mug

And I cut a rug till I'm snug in a jug

A slice of onion and a raw one, draw one

Waiter, waiter, percolator-"

"At least play the recording, don't sing it yourself. How is possible to get songs out of tune inside your own head?" Dr Shinso complained, finally cracking. Maeve let out an accidental snort holding in her mirth, which triggered floods of laughing to rack through her body.

"Wait, the next verse is the best one," She managed out loud between cackles, toes wriggling with glee.

"Boston bean, soy bean