Chapter Twenty Nine

Maeve's eye twitched. 

"I am not bringing a fucking wheelchair." 

Aizawa's eyes remain perfectly steady. 

"There's a compartment in the bottom for coffee storage." 

"Well, why didn't you start with that?" The girl suddenly grinned, running her hand through her hair. She was still in her hospital bed, nursing a cup of the stuff already. 

"Is it an off-road one? Because I'm not sure densely packed forest is the ideal terrain for wheeled metal boxes."

"We'll manage," he replied, with a rare grin, and added, "You need to get dressed, the bus will be arriving soon."

"I am dressed."

Aizawa looked her up and down. Maeve was wearing one of his oldest, most worn tartan button-down shirts and sweat pants over her bodysuit. The clash of red, white, green and grey was quite overwhelming in the worst way possible. He gave an approving nod. 

"Alright, let's head down."

She tried to stand up from her bed and immediately swayed as the blood rushed from her head. Maeve giggled slightly that it felt weird before toppling to the floor with a thump. Or she would've if her father hadn't caught her. He just plopped her in the waiting wheelchair, ignoring her protests, and sped her expertly out the door into the corridor. 

"No wonder the villains want me. I pose such a threat to them," Maeve wheezed from her mobile throne in laughter. She hurriedly drank the dregs from her coffee cup so they wouldn't spill over her carefully chosen outfit. 

"Oh, they have no idea," Aizawa drawled, steering them into an elevator. 

"It's a shame Midoriya's memory isn't as good as mine. Exact wordings from Shigaraki would've been interesting," Maeve pondered.  

"All we know is that he was obsessed with you and All Might. Apparently the lunatic is convinced that the number one is the symbol of peace, but you're also a key player in all this. It's problematic that the league knows your past." 

"Ah well, can't be helped. Anyway, this is supposed to be my vacation. Let's not talk about terrorists wanting my head on a spike." 

"I doubt Shigaraki would bother with a spike. Turning it into dust and then sprinkling that dust down the toilet would probably be enough for him," Todoroki yawned, meeting up with them in the waiting room. 

"Also, how are we going to get the wheelchair on the bus?"

***

It was a mission. They somehow managed it, with Shoji's muscles and Kaminari's confusing advice regarding different strengths of torque. Iida had organised 1A getting there, so everyone was even more organised than when Aizawa was in charge. They were struggling to hide shit-eating grins, though. 

"Good morning, children," Maeve called with a tranquil expression.

"Good morning, cripple," they called back in cringeworthy sing-song voices. Maeve snorted and settled down in her chair next to Aizawa. This was going to be a long drive. 

Everyone was soon yelling about what music to listen to. Aizawa had already fallen asleep, so Maeve was able to inch her chair out into the aisle, ignoring a warning look from Todoroki. She tossed her phone to Jiro, who caught it with a confused expression. 

"This is literally just the Beatles," the earphone student hissed. 

"Exactly. Don't hold back."