Chapter Forty Four

Hey everyone, a bit of an explanation is in order... 

This is my first year of uni living in a residential college, studying a pre-med course which in New Zealand is the most intense and competitive thing you can do (like straight A+ sometimes isn't enough for med rip). I thought I was prepared for doing that on top of weekly updates, but it ended up being so crazy with academics and moving home I had to give up everything except keeping on top of stuff. I'm really sorry. 

I know this is a tough time with covid-19, and hope everyone is staying safe. The small upside is that because I'm in quarantine, I have a bit more time to write. Thanks and if you're reading this after not having an update for months, it means more than you can know xx

The next time Maeve woke up, sunlight streamed through her window and birds were well into their morning proclamations. After Dabi's invasion, she'd descended further into nightmares, but her body was so exhausted the girl couldn't claw her way back into wakefulness. Everything that happened felt so mixed up she had trouble discerning the difference between dreams and reality.

Maeve groaned, fumbling around for her glasses, and checked across the room to her desk. Nobody there. She groggily staggered over to a stack of tomes. Resting on top, in all its hefty glory, sat a full set of Avicenna's Canon of Medicine. Inspecting it in the sleepy peace of the morning, she couldn't help but feel a glow of pride. Even just lifting volume one a few inches was an impressive feat, let alone launching the thing across the room. Adrenaline worked wonders, probably could've smashed his head in. Heh.

So they'd found a quirk that played with dreams. Not ideal, she'd need to get in contact with Dr Shinso regarding mental defences. Dad was going to lose his shit. She'd already spent over five hours recounting every detail about the league to the police, so Maeve didn't look forward to telling them about last night. Especially the fact villains were still very much after her.

Anyway, she had other stuff to deal with. Like needing to sort through all her possessions and transport them to new living arrangements on UA campus. Maeve and Aizawa had accepted the impracticality of remaining in their home pretty quickly. Not only was she under constant threat of being swiped by the league of villains, one of whom had a warping quirk, but she'd also soon be the target of every crime organisation in Japan. All for One's potential kid, whose existence would be released to the public late that afternoon, was competition to be eliminated.

Their apartment couldn't keep away the combined powers of villains and press. It would, unfortunately, buckle on its endearingly flimsy foundations. Aizawa and Shoto needed to move with the new boarding policy in UA anyway, so she was *cough* encouraged to join them. They'd given her the option of any dorm or her own personal cottage. Maeve asked Nezu if she could move in with him, which he'd graciously declined. Always the gentlemouse.

She went with the cottage. It was nestled right in the middle of Height's Alliance, so most likely students would be using the place as their personal lodge all hours of the day. The building was tiny even for her, but in a way that was what Maeve wanted. She didn't like having more room than she knew what to do with. Aizawa was just across the lane in 1A's dorm, so it wasn't really like she was moving out. If it was up to him, she'd be in the same building, but the prospect of living with 20 16-year-olds was incredibly dark even for Maeve.

*** 

The morning passed in a whirlwind. Todoroki was already ready to go when she woke up, all of his possessions neatly compartmentalized in a duffle bag. It made her look even worse, which Maeve didn't appreciate. They were currently at a stalemate regarding who was more to blame in Kamino. Todoroki broke multiple codes of ethics in coming to rescue her behind Aizawa's back (Maeve could tell her father was almost more hurt by the fact he hadn't been let onto the extraction team than that they'd gone in the first place), however, he also succeeded in saving her without breaking any laws. Maeve in return saved him and all of Kamino, but knocked the boy unconscious to do so, breaking many laws. The rape card really helped her argument, however, because he was suddenly doing everything she asked him without question.