Chapter Fifty Four

Shinso perched on the UA teacher's house porch, observing their approaching party of three. He was back in a drab suit, which at least gave some comfort in familiarity.

"You really suggested combat training after what happened yesterday? If you'd had another panic attack out there we wouldn't be able to help you."

"Exactly," Maeve replied dryly, stomping past.

"I'm having a shower. Alright if I use your spare room to change, Dad?"

By that, she also meant his wardrobe, toiletries, and shower. He nodded like usual, however. Maeve stepped around Shinso and swung the door behind her a sliver harder than necessary. She kicked off her shoes and practically jogged down corridors to storm right past Aizawa's room and give a sharp rap on Mic's. Then another. And another.

"I know you're in there. Let me in," she called, leaning against his door frame. Maeve had sealed her mind tighter than ever to keep out Shinso, which lead to a splitting headache. There was muffled grumbling from within, and Yamada eventually swung the barrier open. His glasses were wonky, Ring True pyjama t-shirt too small and his hair had been released from the prison of various gels to instead hang free down his back. He hadn't had his morning coffee yet. Good, Maeve preferred him that way.

"Maefaeve? It's six in the morning. Why's your hair like that, is everything okay?"

"Debatable. Your idiot best friend's been up to shenanigans and didn't tell me."

"Is he hurt?"

Maeve should have expected the worry that laced Mic's voice. It was the same fear their trio had struggled with ever since they'd been cut down from a quartet.

"No, nothing like that."

"Come on in, then," Mic sighed, adjusting his glasses, and opened his door wider. Maeve finally let herself exhale entering his room, which was comfortingly messy after only a couple days. She flopped onto a chair beside his bed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"I found out about Dad and Shinso."

Mic's reaction wasn't quite what she was expecting.

"Ah, that's good. I've been trying to get him to open up for months. Interesting timing to do so with everything going on, I'll admit, but at least they're communicating."

"It wasn't them who told me."

That caught him for a moment. Mic sank onto his bed to try and process.

"Did the commission know and let slip?"

"Nope. Dabi used it blackmail me. DABI." Her voice rose in volume, and she felt a rare burning sensation behind her eyes.

"The monster who-" she choked, but managed to strangle the words around the massive lump in her throat "-that murderer knew, and I didn't. The worst part is, when he found out I had no idea, he actually tried to backtrack. A terrorist pitied me, that's how fucking bad it was."

"That's awful, Maeve. You didn't deserve to find out that way. But, remember the information coming from him isn't going to be the full story. Did you talk to your pops after?"

"I said I needed time to cool off, which is what I've been doing."

"Alright, that was probably a good idea with the information you had. Where are they now?"

"Outside. They think I'm in the shower."

"Okay. I know you don't want to, but I think we should go out and talk to them about it."

"But-"

"Trust me when I say you need all the information before you can make any judgements. It looks a lot worse from the outside than it actually is, especially if your only source is from a villain."