Chapter 2

Ten Years Later

Sitting in the shadows of the trees Faith was reminded of him, her guardian angel. Here, the place all others feared with their lives, she felt a sense of belonging, a sense of safety. Ever since that night ten years ago Faith has never felt like she had a place in her small town. Her father and older sisters didn't understand. How could they? They didn't care when momma and sister died.

As Faith grew so did her beauty, another reason she didn't fit in. The other girls were shallow, their beauty superficial. Her sisters were the worst of them all, so materialistic. Faith's beauty went deeper then the surface, her spirit went beyond worldly desires. This is what made her so different. She saw the truth when everyone else saw the lies created by the prejudices in the world.

It's been so long since they died and it still feels like yesterday. Faith wandered around the meadow bordering the forest. Ten years to the day. After their deaths everything had changed. Her father distanced himself and devoted himself to work rather than family. Her sisters were worse. Charity and Patience became selfish and vain. Her own home felt cold to her. Where am I meant to be if not here? What am I meant to do? There was no easy answer but Faith did know that she didn't want to be trapped here. She wanted to be free. She wanted to find the place she belonged, the man she was meant to be with. A part of her was wishing for her childhood protector to come and take her away. But she knew better then to believe such nonsense. Yet, she remembered, remembered his arms and that feeling of peace. She hadn't felt that peace since that night. He's watching over me. He cares. He has to. Faith clung to that one hope that someone out there cared about her. She knew it was probably just childish nonsense but that is what kept her sane, the memory of him.

"Faith! What do you think you are doing out there?!? Get away from the forest! Goodness me, you are so brainless at times." Patience's sheer voice rang out. Needless to say that she didn't uphold her namesake very well, neither did Charity for that matter. Faith turned toward her sister but didn't step away from the towering trees.

"Did you need me for anything, dear sister?" Faith did her best to not show her frustration with her sister.

"Why else would I be out here! Get inside!" So much for loving sisters, Faith thought sadly. She trudged back down the hillside she was on. So demanding. They walked silently through the village, the always constant, dreary town she grew up in. There must be more to life.

"My, my, my, what do we have here?" Oh no! Please not him! "Faith, how about you come on over and have that dinner with me you've always wanted." Victor. He was the most arrogant, narcissistic, condescending man in the Northern Kingdom. He happened to also be the most handsome, wealthiest, and most sought after man in the Northern Kingdom. Furthermore, he had set his sights on Faith as his next victim. She was the only woman he had ever met that didn't fall at his feet and she didn't intend, ever, to do so. She knew he relished the challenge she presented but didn't know what she could do to prevent it.

"I'm sorry Victor but she is needed at home. However, I have no other obligations if you are in wish of company," Patience not so subtly hinted, her voice suddenly honey coated. Victor, of course, more then happily agreed. There has yet to be a night that he isn't entertaining a different gal then the night before, Faith thought indignantly.

"Perhaps you'll join me tomorrow, Faith? I'm determined to have you," Victor whispered as she passed him. Unbelievable.