Chapter 11

Sorry this is taking forever!!! Here you go though!! Sorry for any errors!!

Faith slowly opened her eyes. She was being carried into a dark room. The slight moonlight came in though the window and showed the snow was slowing down. All the cold had fled from her body but the arms still held her tightly. Adam. He gently placed her down on a soft cloud. Opening her eyes once again she realized it was her bed, the bed in the palace. Pulling away from her, he turned to leave. That was when she found her voice again. “You brought me back to the palace?” Her voice was raw. She looked at his turned back. Oh how she longed to see his face.

“You are safe here.” With that he walked out of the room. Her eyes closed again and she was lost to blissful sleep and even better dreams.

The first thing she saw was his eyes, his gray, depthless eyes. They drew her in and she could not help but go to him. “Adam? Is that you?” She asked as she walked into his embrace. She felt his arms around her but when she looked up the face she saw froze her. It was the man from the portrait. The eyes were now cold, distant steel.

“Lewis?” She asked hesitantly. He smiled down at her and his grip tightened. She did not try to move away or stop him.

“Faith, why did you run from me? You are safe here.” His voice was rough and came out as a growl, yet he sounded familiar all the same.

“I was not running away from you. I did not mean to…” She trailed off. He shook his head, which was so much closer to her then before. Her breath stuck in her throat. Her gaze was solely focused on him, his lips which were inching closer and closer. Her eyes drifted shut as she waited. The kiss sent shocks through her system. She sighed and her legs went weak. She clung to him for strength as the kiss went on.

Faith woke up with a gasp. Touching her lips, a blush made its way onto her cheeks. Even though it was just a dream, she was still unnerved. But I was dreaming of ‘Lewis’ not Adam. That was what threw her off the most. Why was I dreaming of ‘Lewis’? What does that mean?

“I have a new gown laid out for you and food is being sent up.” Faith had not noticed Lenora flying around.

“Oh, thank you. Umm… I am sorry for running. I know I shouldn’t have done it but I… I don’t know what I was thinking,” she apologized. Lenora gave her a reassuring smile and bowed her head before exiting.

Faith got up and changed her dress which was slightly damp from the snow that had soaked through her overcoat. After a few minutes a knock sounded. Opening the door, Faith was expecting Gus or Charles with a tray of food but was met with a shock.

“Lewis, I did not think you were one to wait on others hand and foot.” She said in a teasing tone trying to diffuse any tension left. She knew her leaving would have angered him but when he smiled at her he knew she was forgiven. Unfortunately, his presence only reminded her of her dream and made her wonder why.

“Only you.” His reply brought a blush to her cheeks again as she walked into the room and he placed the tray on a small table between two chairs, sitting down on one. “I should not have…”

“No!” She cut him off. Why was he apologizing? “I was wrong to leave like that.” She sat down beside him and started eating, ceasing all conversation as she was overwhelmed by hunger.

Adam was so relieved she was back! He was not confident bout how she would react to waking up back in the palace but she seemed to be happy about it. The memory of her clinging to him, not wanting to let go, was something he thought would only occur in his dreams. Yet, it had happened last night. He wished he never had to release her but if she had woken to him as the beast she would have screamed.

He watched her now, as she finished her food and began to clean up. The look of utter shock when she saw him with the tray of food at her door had him holding back laughter, something that was not a common event but was something that was happening more and more around her. She was right though, he never would have served anyone before but he had wanted to check on her.  She has been here no longer then two days and was already having an effect.

When she was ready, he walked her to his father’s old study. He had not been in there for a long while because he saw no need. It is not as if I am running a kingdom anymore. I have no use of this stuffy dank room, he thought bitterly. However, he knew she would love it. The study was filled with a variety of books and charts. Faith seemed the type to enjoy more… intellectual subjects, instead of the shallow materialistic jargon most court women would have found fascinating. Adam remembered all the noble ladies and how the would trip over themselves trying to get his attention and favor. They did not care what they had to do, just as long as he gave them a second glance. Faith was nothing like that. She would never throw herself at anyone.

“Where are we?” Faith’s voice pulled him out of his thoughts. Adam had not even noticed he had led her into the study and she was now wandering around, a look of marvel on her face. He smiled at her.

“We are in the King’s old study. There is every sort of book here and all of my father’s life’s work. He spent every waking moment in this study, as long as he was not in a conference or meeting with his subjects.” Adam tried to keep the bitterness out of his voice but Faith was far too perceptive. Her green eyes pierced his as she studied him closely.

“Did you and your father not get along well?” She asked almost hesitantly. When he gave her no reply she gave him a sweet smile and went back to scanning the book titles. He was glad she did not press him for answers.

The rest of the day went by with them discussing everything from books to politics to childhood memories. Adam could not remember the last time he had talked with someone so openly. Faith shared everything with such an unreserved honesty, such sincerity that he had never heard before. It was refreshing for him and seemed to be settling for Faith. She seemed to be getting increasingly more comfortable.

The Dame Magique could not help the smile on her face. Everything was working out so well. She watched now as Adam and Faith sat in front of the hearth in the palace study and talked. She had not seen Faith so happy since the deaths in her family. How the Dame longed to hold her on those nights when she grieved for her losses. But now Adam was there to console her.

“You led him to her, did you not?” The Femme Fatale’s voice floated to her ears. The Dame stiffened and turned, prepared to be reprimanded but was met with a smiling face. “You do not need to answer because I already know you did.”

“You are not upset? I thought you did not want me interfering,” the Dame inquired. The Femme Fatale only shook her head and graced her with a smile.

“You still have much to learn. And I do understand the love of family.”

I hope you liked it!!! I will try to update again soon!! Vote and Comment Please!! Any input and/or Criticism is welcome :)