Flying High

Adrien sat beside Marinette who was concentrating on a recent design. He usually gave his input after she was done, grateful he could actually use his modelling career to help out a friend. Lila's big drama had somewhat evaporated, but some were still against Marinette.

It didn't help how some of the class wasn't even there, and Lila's servants had exaggerated. Some said Marinette shredded Lila's 'expensive' and 'exported' dress for the event. Yeah right, Adrien had scoffed, That dress was picked up from a thrift store and didn't look worth a dime.

The most atrocious one was Marinette 'losing control' and pushing Lila on to the punch table which injured her and that's why she wasn't attending lately. The rumour speculated so much that the teachers had to even ask Marinette if it was true to permit her leave. Of course it was not, but when Lila's 'mental' health got involved, they did allow eventually.

Adrien was proud of Marinette for all these stupid people and their lies not getting to her, he didn't meet such strong willed people, if anything, he expected her to perhaps break. She always seemed fragile and he was always careful (now) with his own wordings, or maybe it was his own feelings which didn't want to offend her in anyway.

He took out his book and greeted her, as she politely smiled back in acknowledgement, her blue eyes glittering with excitement. He could never understand what was the source of her energy and positivity, perhaps someday...

Ms. Bustier stepped into the class, clasping her hands together, "We're going to New York!"
The silence lasted about 5 seconds before the class went into an uproar of emotions, excited voices unable to stay contained, as Marinette turned to Adrien, "Oh isn't this exciting Adrien!"
Adrien smiled, "It sure is."

Ms. Bustier then called out, before sighing and banging the table with the ruler, "Silence class, do not force me to use my strict methods! Anyway, the trip is next week. Be sure to bring necessities and everyone shall sit according to their plane ticket. Ms. Mendeleiev will be assisting as I cannot travel due to...restrictions."

Some of the students groaned as they did not want the grumpy strict teacher, unaware she heard them from outside. Ms. Mendeleiev never intended to be disliked or set the 'hated' teacher standard, she just...didn't want the students to misbehave or disrupt her classes. She was the one with the perfect attendance and good class conduction awards, not Bustier. No matter however golden the prizes shone, no matter how many walls got covered by sheets of official acknowledgements, the hollow part of student appreciation would always be there. She was grateful for Marinette, who actually acknowledged her as a human, and believed she would be a good person in the forthcoming future, and so she did try to soften up. She decided this may the trip to take a step.

***

Adrien pulled up in front of the school, as Marinette stepped out in front of his own limo. She wore a red beret and scarf, alongside a pink jacket with a ladybug pin. He too wore a black leather jacket, a cat drawn at the edge of it. 

He dragged his suitcase, helping her with her own which was just like the rest of the things she owned. It was polka dotted and had a ladybug zipper. They waited as the class gathered and very soon, the bus arrived. Sitting inside, he found Nino with Alya. Nino send him a reassuring smile which Adrien returned, sitting with Marinette. 

He found himself gazing at the window, thinking about the trip. Will there be new friends? What about the cosplayers and magicians? And the sights? He had been reading the pamphlets, and even though he knew nearly all of it (due to his home-schooling) it was a different experience all on it's own to see it personally.

"Hey Adrien, "What's your seat number?"
"31A..."
"You're sitting next to me!"

She happily exclaimed, and Adrien smiled but turned his head away. Hours...sitting beside her...in a confined space. His face grew warm as the bus screeched to a halt.