Chapter 196

{{oops forgot to edit}}

Gwen won't let go.

Her hand is like a vice grip on Sirius', their fingers intertwined tightly like devils snare. Sirius won't either, he won't let go. Even when Regulus comes in and looks ill with relief as he checks her wound. He's brewing more potions, potions that should help her heal from the inside.

Gwen can see it on Lily's face as she helps Regulus. The line across her throat would never really heal. The scar would be forever. Panic rises at the thought, her limbs tingling and chest heaving for air. And then she hears Sirius snapping, telling them to leave.

She wants him closer, wants out of this bloody cot and up in her bed. She's not supposed to speak, but she does while Regulus and Sirius are arguing, breaking the tension by murmuring, "Can I move?"

Regulus freezes at the sound of her voice, looking even more emotional. But he also looks apprehensive, his eyes lingering on her throat. He opens his mouth to speak and is promptly interrupted,

"No," Sirius insists, eyes flashing with a tidal wave of emotions. "You're not moving."

Gwen ignores him, peers over her shoulder at Lily and whispers, "I'd like to clean up and sleep in my bed, Lils."

The Veela studies her friend, notes the way her hand briefly rests in her stomach. Sees when Lily looks to Regulus and begins to nod and reply quietly, "Yes, Gwen. I think—"

"No!" Sirius says loudly, voice shaking slightly despite his firmness, "No moving!"

"Could I see you for a moment, Sirius?" Lily finally says, her voice curt and eyes narrowed. Sirius' face grows worried, his eyes darting back to Gwen. He didn't want to leave her. He never wanted to leave her. Gwen smiles faintly, her chest aching at the thought of letting go of his hand. But she wanted to get out of the Potter's dining room, wanted to wash away the feelings she was having.

She hears yelling, but Regulus is doing his best to distract her as he studies the wound left by the curse, his voice warm as he says, "You had me scared for a minute."

"You're brilliant, Little," Gwen murmurs, eyes closing for a brief moment. "No need to be scared."

When she opens her eyes again she finds him standing stiffly, hand hovering just over hers. Affection was not in the nature of Black descendants. At least not towards anyone other than who they were most loyal to.

His throat bobs, his jaw clenched tight. And she sees it, the reflection of her own eyes in his, reflective with tears and emotions that Regulus Black did not want to put into words. Words made it real. Words made it real that Gwenyth Whitlock had almost died.

His heart clenches painfully when her lips barely quirk up, her voice tired as she whispers, "I thought you didn't like me."

He so easily can picture where he'd been sitting when she'd said words like that. So easily could feel his heart racing like it had when he'd tentatively sat next to the Veela of Hogwarts, watched her friend wade in the shallow waters of the lake. Too easy. It was too easy for him to imagine what his life would look like without her in it.

Regulus clears his throat, shrugs half heartedly and mutters, "I don't like it when you almost die. If you could refrain from doing that ever again, I'd be eternally grateful."

"I'll consider it," Gwen teases, and Regulus' lips twitch into an easy smile. He hesitates before finally grabbing her hand and giving it a squeeze. Her touch allows him to reconcile with his turmoil. More than he was afraid of her dying, he was afraid of seeing Sirius cope with it. He wouldn't easily forget his brother's outburst, his screams of pain. It was too much for him to carry, too much for him to think about.