Chapter 204

This was Gwen's favorite house.

She wouldn't readily admit it, not since a specific Scottish Gryffindor would gloat until the sun went down. But it was her favorite. Besides the beach house of course.

Dorcas and Marlene had fixed up a tiny cottage near Ottery St. Catchpole. It was very quaint, and very much Dorcas. The walls were a welcoming shade of terracotta, the wooden floors scratched to oblivion, but still shining otherwise. The trim was pristine, everything cleaned and free of any spec of dust.

And books.

There were books in every corner of the home. On shelves, on tables, floating in the air even. All organized in what Dorcas considered the best way to catalogue books. Gwen wouldn't argue. She hated books. There was sprinkles of Marlene in Celtic knots and quidditch memorabilia. It wasn't necessarily her taste, the Gryffindor messiness truly making her nose itch. But she loved the house, especially the large leather armchair what she'd sunken into the moment she'd arrived.

Dorcas smiles to herself at her best friend sitting silently, wordlessly handing the Veela a cup of tea. She knew better than to disturb Gwen's silent musings.

The confines of the home didn't feel all that small until the Marauders arrived. Remus was nearly scraping his head on the ceiling, James and Sirius not much better off. Peter didn't mind however. He was too busy sneaking a taste of Marlene's cooking despite her mumbled protests.

Dorcas has to hide her smile again when Sirius looks around the room and spots his girl. His eyes light up, charcoal grey turning to excited silver as he sneaks past James and Remus. He hurries over, looking pathetically adorable as he hunches down to greet the Veela. He places a brand new witch weekly in her lap, his smile practically blinding.

Gwen just grins at the magazine, her cheeks pinking when he bends to press a friendly kiss to her jaw. She bites back a laugh when he mumbles, "This house is made for people like you."

"People like me?" Gwen muses, smiling when he lifts his head and peers down at her. His grin is contagious, full of light as he says pointedly, "Yes, Inferi. Short people."

Gwen scoffs and nudges him back, raising her tea to her lips just as he tries to steal a kiss. He scowls playfully, rolling his eyes until she raises the cup to him. His face is full of mirth and something else that makes Gwen's heart race when he bends his head to take a sip of her offered tea.

When he winks she has to refrain from pulling him down into the chair with her and snogging the life out of him. Him. Her fiancé. Gwen bites down hard on her lip, eyes narrowing at his knowing smile he's wearing as he returns to the Marauders.

"You're awfully touchy today,"

Gwen glances up at Lily's teasing voice. The Veela smiles dreamily, eyes passive again as she sets down her tea and reaches out to gently press her palms to the growing bump of her friend's belly.

"Yes," Gwen replies plainly. "We are."

Dorcas grins at the Veela's blasé tone, asking, "Is he in trouble and begging for forgiveness? That seems to be the trend these days."

Gwen smiles to herself when Dorcas turns to stare pointedly at Marlene, the Scottish witch's face turning pink and her hands quickly dropping the book that she was about to move from the shelf in an attempt to piss off her girlfriend.

Gwen hums thoughtfully, removing her hands from Lily's bump so that she can sit down on the sofa across from her. The girls all watch amusedly as the Veela flips open her magazine, holding it delicately with one hand as her other brings her tea back up to her lips.