Chapter 208

{{another! I didn't edit because I'm lazyyyyy}}

Gwen is very much in trouble.

Not in danger, though when Sirius woke up and realized that she was not asleep next to him at Grimmauld place she may be.

Unfortunately, business took precedence today.

Her nerves were prickling with caution as she roams the streets of Diagon Alley. She'd been smart enough to tuck her hair up into the dark hood of her cloak. Snow dotted the blue wool, and Gwen sighs irritably. She wanted to be with Sirius when he woke up and saw that it was snowing.

The grief was a dull ache today, lessening with time. In the week since the funeral, Gwen and Sirius had remained holed up at his old home, reluctant to leave the understanding and calm they'd created. But it was time. Time to face reality. It started today.

She had a favor that had been hanging over her head for some time, a favor she'd meant to follow through on before she'd been hurt. Unfortunately, she trusted one person to help her under these conditions.

"My prettiest customer. You couldn't hide yourself if you tried,"

Gwen's irritation fades at the familiar voice, her lips twitching into a smile as she turns and faces her favorite vendor. Mundungus Fletcher wears a grin that matches her amusement, his scraggly hair pulled back from his dark eyes. He beckons her to bend down so she can hug him.

"Mundungus," Her back aches slightly as she stands and peers down at him. "Thank you for meeting me."

He nods his head up and down quickly, cheeks pinking and his smile turning shy. A criminal softened by the odd being, charmed just as Kreacher had been.

"How has time been treating you?" He questions pointedly, waggling his brows. Gwen tilts her head at his reference to her last purchase, clasping her hands together in front of her, "I haven't used it yet. I'm waiting for a sign."

He opens his mouth, but quickly shuts it as if he's thought better of questioning her reasoning. Her pale eyes hint at nothing, so he says instead, "Mind if we talk over a pint?"

She wants to say no. She wants to tell him that she had other things to do. He was a flighty man, and a busy one. She offers a half nod, gesturing for him to lead the way.

The leaky cauldron is calm, and Gwen feels comfortable enough when they sit at a secluded table. She pulls her hood from her face, smiling politely when Mundungus returns to her with a pint for himself and a water for her. Her impatience quells at the action and she takes a small sip of the drink. For a criminal, he was surprisingly thoughtful. At least with her.

"What can I do for you, Gwen?" He seems curious, reasonable considering her requests were usually unique. The charmed telescope for Sirius' birthday had been one of his hardest finds, but certainly worth it for the fee. Likely another reason he was interested in what she had to say. She always had something of interest as a form of payment.

She stares at him silently, rubbing the side of her glass with her thumb. She smiles slightly, "I need you to deliver something for me."

His eyes flash with interest, head tilting as he wonders, "Where?"

"Gregorovitch Zauberstäbe. The wand shop."

His brows shoot to his hairline, making him look even more like a wrinkled and saggy faced bloodhound. He was amusing, even when he wasn't trying. Gwen stifles a laugh, tilting her head slightly when he asks almost accusingly, "You have business with that crazy wandmaker?"

He stares at her silently as she nods, reluctantly letting out an appreciative grunt. He knew better than to ask questions.

Gwen slides a small, black specimen jar across the table. It disappears faster than she can blink, already pocketed by the curious wizard. He takes a long sip from his pint glass, and Gwen grins at the foam mustache he leaves behind. It moves as he talks, "I reckon you won't tell me what it is I'm transporting."