Chapter 216

Gwen's favorite kinds of riddles were the ones that were so simple, that finding the answer was near impossible.

The trend to over complicate was a natural human and being urge that—for some reason— had been naturally selected for time and time again. Another riddle, though that answer was likely more complicated.

Though she liked riddles that couldn't be solved too. Maybe that's why she liked James Potter so much. He is a complete and utter mystery to her, probably in the way that she is to him.

She studies the tears streaming down his cheeks, the redness of his eyes. His spine is rigid, whole body shaking from his seat across from her. Gwen stifles a laugh, relaxed and staring directly into his glassy hazel eyes.

"Love," He huffs angrily, "Would you just blink already?!"

She wasn't quite sure why he insisted on staring contests. He'd yet to win. Another riddle, though she was beginning to think he didn't know either. He just really liked to win.

"No," Gwen says simply, smiling at her friend. He groans, and she feels a twinge of sympathy. Her eyes were beginning to ache as well, but she wasn't nearly bad off as James. He'd always had a flare for the dramatics.

Finally, his weeping eyes clench shut and an explosive string of curse words flies from his mouth. Gwen blinks, relieved it was over and amused as he insists quietly, "I'm so close! I know you were about to blink, Ninnie! I'm certain of it."

She just smiles and nods, "Yes, love."

James sighs, reaching out and clapping his hands over her cheeks. Gwen recoils at the sting, eyes screwing up when he smushes her cheeks together until her lips are pursed like a fish. James grins happily, like seeing her look a fool has made up for the defeat.

"You look like a grindylow, Ninnie."

The Veela quirks a brow, mumbling awkwardly thanks to his hands, "What a lovely compliment, Prongs. You look like you're feeling a bit warm."

James tilts his head to the side, perplexed by her words, "Warm? No, I'm actually quite—GWEN!"

His voice is squeaky and shrill, hands releasing her cheeks as he summersaults backwards to get away from where her fingertips have burnt a hole clear through the knee of his trousers.

James covers the red mark on his leg with his hand, yelping softly, "Little! I've been injured!"

Gwen sits in her same place on the floor, watching James roll around silently. She tilts her head, Regulus appearing in the doorway with wide eyes and hurriedly rising shoulders. He freezes, spluttering, "What—I thought—James! You can't just fucking yell that you've been injured!"

The veela smiles at Regulus, eagerly accepting the tea he has stretched out in one hand. She cups her fingers around the cup, enjoying the warmth while her eyes drift to the darkness of the window. She hadn't been sleeping much. Not really at all. Evidently, James had been struggling with Lily's aversion to warmth at night. The first time he'd joined her in the kitchen far earlier than the others, he had been grumbling about cooling charms. Regulus had always been a night owl, and Remus' struggle with the oncoming full moon wasn't helping. And so the three found themselves frequently running into one another throughout the dark hours of the Potter's house. Now, it seemed almost intentional. Regulus had taken to snarkily calling their group of three, 'Chaos of the Phoenix.' 

Gwen quite liked their midnight meetings. 

"She burned me," James argues lowly, playfully nudging Gwen until she simply hands him her cup of tea. Regulus rolls his eyes, handing her the one he was about to offer James. He quirks a brow, the shadows casted over his face reminding Gwen of his lineage. His attitude doesn't however, "And why would she do that, James?"