Chapter Nine

“Bebz you’ve got to wake up now if you want time to have a shower, if we’re late for Liam’s game he’ll kill us,” Zayn says gently, rubbing Louis’ shoulder.

Louis groans and rolls over, looking blearily up at Zayn, “not gunna shower, come snuggle with me for an extra half an hour and I’ll throw on a beanie?” he asks.

Zayn smiles like he was hoping Louis would say that and pulls back the covers to climb in. Louis wore a cozy old jumper and some flannel pyjamas to bed, but even with his heavy duvet he’s still cold when Zayn scoops him into his arms. Zayn hisses a little when Louis slips his freezing feet up the cuffs of Zayn’s jeans but he just holds him closer.

“You’re so bloody cold Lou,” Zayn says and Louis can hear the frown in his voice.

Louis doesn’t reply, just snuggles closer and shuts his eyes while Zayn draws patterns on his back. He dozes off a little, comfortable and warm beside his best friend. He had heard Liam up early running the blender for his protein shake. He’s always been a morning person and Louis knows he’s probably tidied the house and done their laundry already. He’s left to go do whatever their team does before games, Louis and Zayn will only get to see him for a minute before the game starts.

“Alright, we should head out,” Zayn sighs, too soon for Louis liking.

“I don’t even know why they are having a football game when there is frost on the ground,” Louis grumbles into Zayn’s shoulder.

“Stop whining, it’s the championship match,” Zayn says but Louis can hear the smile in his voice, “last one till spring.”

Louis lets out a groan and rolls out of Zayn’s embrace, stretching until all his joints have given a satisfying crack. He pushes himself up and rubs his eyes, clearing the morning scratchiness out of his throat. Zayn sits up and smiles fondly at Louis, even though Louis knows he must look like a mess. Zayn is fully dressed and his quiff is immaculate as usual. The thing Louis loves most about Zayn are his eyes; the colour of whiskey and framed by long dark eyelashes. They’re beautiful but they’re also so kind.

Louis has a thing for kind eyes. He has always said the reason he chose Liam to be his best friend on their first day of class in first grade was because Liam had the kindest eyes he’d ever seen. Liam’s are dark and deep but so warm and Louis just knew he could trust him. It’s the same reason he chose Zayn on their first day of college. Even though Zayn was quiet and Louis was loud, Louis took one look in Zayn’s eyes and knew he could trust him too. Liam was a little hesitant of Zayn at first, because Liam had always been the centre of Louis attention and then Zayn came along and clicked with Louis so quickly. Louis has always had a lot of love to give though, and Liam quickly realized there was room enough for both of them.

Louis stumbles out of bed and to the closet, deciding on a pair of jeans and a creamy white cable knit sweater. Zayn has wandered off to the kitchen but Louis closes his door, just to be sure, before stripping and yanking his clothes on. He gabs his grey beanie with the pompom at the back and brings it with him to the bathroom. He brushes his teeth and washes his face, only looking in the mirror to run a brush through his hair and arrange his fringe under his hat.

Louis goes to the front hall closet and pulls on his beige suede coat. Zayn hands him a pair of gloves and pulls on his own leather jacket and gloves. Louis leads the way down to his car and he starts it and plugs in his iPhone, trying to keep his teeth chattering to a minimum as they wait for the car to warm up.

“Since when do you listen to The Kooks?” Zayn asks as the music thrums through the car.

“Oh, Harry made me a playlist,” Louis says as he looks over his shoulder to back out of the parking stall.