Chapter Twenty

"Lou, what's he talking about?" Liam asks slowly.

Zayn's eyes are trained on Harry, but Harry can only look at Louis. Louis won't meet any of their eyes though, as he slowly untangles himself from Zayn's arms. Liam steps forward and reaches out for him, but Louis flinches away, and Liam looks like he's been kicked. Louis backs away, and Liam and Zayn freeze with confusion all over their faces. Harry wants to tell them not to corner him, but they've known Louis longer and it isn't his place. Harry hovers by the door, unable to take his eyes off Louis' face as he fights back the tears in his baby blue eyes.

"Lou-" Zayn starts, and his voice sounds shaky, "Harry?"

Louis' eyes flash up to Harry's, and Harry feels Liam and Zayn's eyes on him too, "I need all three of you to get out now," Louis says, his voice small and pained, "please just leave me alone."

"Babe," Harry chokes out.

"Get out!" Louis cries, and this time it isn't angry, just broken and panicked and Harry thinks that hurts worse.

"Louis, what is Harry talking about?" Liam asks, reaching out for Louis, only to have him shrink away further.

"Please leave!" Louis sobs, his arms wrapped tightly around himself, "all of you, please!"

Harry doesn't think he can handle this. He's seen Louis cry a couple of times in movies, or once when a terribly sad commercial for sick kids came on the telly. It was a few tears that trailed down his tan cheeks for just a moment, before Harry was able to kiss them away. Even then it killed Harry to see those gorgeous eyes wet and sad. He never in his life wanted to see Louis properly cry because he was hurt or upset. Now, Louis is crying because of Harry, and Harry hates himself for it.

"Lou-" Zayn tries.

"Go!" Louis yells, "Get out! Get out! Get out!"

"We're not leaving until we know what the fuck is going on, Louis!" Liam shouts, gesturing angrily between Harry, and Louis' cowering form.

"Stop," Zayn says quickly, as Harry's mouth opens to say the same thing, "yelling isn't going to help, Liam."

Liam instantly hangs his head, "I know. Lou, I'm sorry, please just- please just tell us what's going on."

Louis finally looks up from the floor and his eyes are wet and pleading, "please," he says, almost a whisper, "please just get out of my room, I'm sorry."

The silence is tangible as Louis lets out a shaky breath and wilts back into the corner of the room. Harry's chest is aching, because all he wants to do is rush forward and scoop Louis up, but he knows he can't. He sees Zayn reach out and put gentle pressure on Liam's arm. Liam hesitates for only a moment before he lets out a sigh. They turn away from Louis, looking just as downtrodden as Harry feels. Zayn reaches out for Harry too, and his hand on Harry's arm is so much softer than Liam's was, but the message is the same.

They slowly file out of the room and Harry casts one glance back, before Louis is rushing forward from his corner, and slamming the door in Harry's face. Harry lets out a shuddery breath as Zayn pulls him gently to the living room. Instantly they turn to him, standing side by side with a million questions in their eyes; a united front, like always.

"Explain," Liam says roughly, Zayn's hand goes up to Liam's shoulder, gentle pressure telling him to calm down.

"Louis-" Harry has to stop and clear the unshed tears from his throat, "I saw Louis naked last night, and I knew something was wrong. He doesn't have a single bit of fat on him, you can see every bone. I heard him throwing up the breakfast I made him, and I thought maybe he was bulimic, but I talked to my sister and I researched it and he's- er he's anorexic."