A trip to LA

Percy POV:

We have one day to finish the quest, we have one day to get back to Olympus and give father his helm, and one day to stop World War 3!

Bianca and Nico looked shocked and even had tears in their eyes, they were probably hoping this will all just be a prank but came with us anyways. "What do we do Perce?" Luke asked 

I thought about sending James to Olympus on his own but then realized it was one of the worst ideas I've ever had. "We'll head to LA together and once we're their you and Grover can head to an airport for a flight to New York." 

He scowled at the fact we had to split up but I think he knew that we wouldn't have enough to get to LA otherwise, James was saying how they should be thankful he went on this quest since he was the only powerful demigod here. 

Luke agreed to go to take Grover back to New York once we got to LA and we all headed towards where I parked the 'Super Awesome Chick Magnet Chariot', Nico kept sprouting facts about Apollo's sun chariot from Mythomagic. Once we got there the Di Angelo siblings admired it before James tried to flirt with Bianca, for someone so cute and tiny the little guy can cause some damage when you talk about his sister.

I was just about to look for directions to LA when James demanded we go to Santa Monica pier so his father can reward him because he's super powerful or something like that.  

LINE BREAK

On the way to Santa Monica pier, Luke and I started talking about the thefts, "I had a dream earlier there was a servant and they sounded female, I thought I recognized it." I said

Luke tensed but replied, "No idea who it could be Perce but who the voice in the pit you keep going on about?" 

I paled at the reminder "The servant said it was the Crooked One, and I remember some of the history movies on Olympus you can't forget that voice, Luke. It was Kronos." 

An ancient aura swept over us and we began to tremble before Luke said "May the Gods save us all." 

LINE BREAK

The sun was just starting to set when we arrived at the beach in Santa Monica. It looked exactly the way L.A. beaches do in the movies, only it smelled worse than Apollo's temple. There were carnival rides lining the pier, palm trees lining the sidewalks, homeless guys sleeping in the sand dunes, and surfer dudes waiting for the perfect wave.

Our small group walked down to the edge of the surf. "Well get in the water then," I said

The pacific was turning gold in the setting sun. James ran into the sea and I swore I saw a shark look at me thinking I was supposed to be the one that went in the water before it swam over to James.

Once we were sure James was gone I told Luke to use his Casino credit card to get two tickets to New York and we all said our goodbyes whilst they went to get a taxi. Nico looked like he was having the time of his life when I felt something grip my hand. I don't know why I did it but I just grabbed it back and looked to my side when I saw Bianca looking towards the sun with a smile. 

"Everything changed, it's so confusing." Bianca said, "I don't remember much from before the Casino and I have no idea why really but everything changed and I found out the Greek gods are real and I don't know whether to be happy or have a mental breakdown."

I smiled sympathetically in her direction and said "I know I'll probably never know what you're growing through but I'll tell you this, my father saved me and I have no doubt Hades would do the same for you. I know it may be confusing even terrifying and we probably won't have the best lives being demigods and all but I'll be there for you and you're brother whenever you need me."

A lone tear went down her eye before she composed herself and went to talk with her brother. 

LINE BREAK

Once James got back he told us he got some 'stupid pearls' but we just ignored him and all got back in the mini sun chariot. We drove into West Hollywood and drove around for a bit whilst I tried to remember where the entrance to the underworld was. 

I eventually saw an area that looked familiar and suggested we go on foot, James kept moaning but the Di Angelos were more than happy to. 

Once we parked and got out of the car I handed Nico and Bianca to small Celestial Bronze daggers. In a shop window, I saw someone who looked almost as whiny as James. Tears glistening in the man's eyes he said "Honest, Ms. Walters, if it wasn't for my dear son James I would have gone mad years ago and now he's gone, I don't know what to do!"

I cackled at how much this guy sounds like James and if I didn't know better I would think they were actually related. "There you have it, America" The news lady turned to the camera. "A man is torn apart/ An adolescent boy kidnapped and brainwashed. Let me show you the last known photo of this troubled boy, taken a week ago in Denver."

The screen cut to a grainy shot of me, Luke, James, and Grover standing outside the Colorado diner, talking to Ares. "Who are the other children in this photo?" The lady asked dramatically, "Who is the man with them? Is James Waters a terrorist or perhaps a brainwashed victim of a frightening new cult? When we come back, we chat with a leading child psychologist. Stay tuned, America."

"WOOOOO, I'M FAMOUS!" James yelled

Bianca punched him in the face "Shut up!" She growled

He started crying about his beautiful face before we dragged him away. It got dark and hungry-looking characters started coming out on the streets to play. Most people would get scared about mean-looking characters like those but once you've met the hunters nothing really scares you anymore.

I knew the entrance to the underworld was close but it felt like we've been looking for hours on end, we walked past gangbangers, bums, and street hawkers, who looked at us like they were trying to figure if we were worth the trouble of mugging.

As we hurried past the entrance of an ally, a voice from the darkness said, "Hey you!" 

I turned around and glared in the direction of the voice. Before I knew it we were surrounded. A gang of kids had circled us. Six of them all - white kids with expensive clothes and mean faces. Like the kids at Yancy Academy: rich brats playing at being bad boys.

James reached for his sword but I just shoved him out the way and punched the first guy I saw, I didn't think I was that strong but the guy just fell to the ground and started snoaring. I started fighting the others, punch, kick, duck, uppercut, repeat. 

Two out of the last three standing backed off before the so called leader of their group yelled and bought out a switch-blade, I turned my body to the right almost completely avoding the cut but he managed to swipe my shoulder, I grabbed his wrist twisted it and knocked him with one clean punch to his temple before turning around to the awe-struck faces of the Di Angelos and the enraged face of the almighty James Theseus Waters.

Once they got over their shock Nico started asking me how many attack points I have, I knew they sold Mythomagic on Olympus but I really couldn't answer him I never paid attention to it. 

We eventually stood in the shadows of Valencia Boulevard, looking up at gold letters etched in black marble: DOA RECORDING STUDIOS. Underneath, stencilled on the glass doors: NO SOLICITERS, NO LOITERING, NO LIVING.

I sighed "Here goes nothing."