Meriwether College Prep

Percy/Nerva POV:

I just sneaked into Meriwether College Prep through the window and found out that James was in class with some kid named Matt Sloan and apparently all the girls have crushes on him since all I had to do was follow some giggling school girls to find his class.

Once I entered the gym I saw Laistrygonian Giants fighting James and some Cyclops, "James needs help!" The cyclops yelled as he jumped in front of James.

The cyclops caught both of the flaming balls and sent them hurling back towards the giant, who screamed "BAAAAAD!" as the bronze spheres exploded against their chests.

The giants disintegrated into twin columns of flames. "My brothers!!" The giant who had a nametag that said 'Joe Bob' wailed. He flexed his muscles and his Babycakes tattoo rippled. "You will pay for their destruction!"

"Cyclops!" I said, "Watch out!" 

Another comet hurled towards them. The cyclops just had time to swat it away. It flew straight over the gym coach's head and straight into the stands with a huge KA-BOOM! Kids were running around screaming, trying to avoid the sizzling craters in the floor. Others were banging on the door, calling for help. The kid who looked like a bully from some clique high school movie stood petrified in the middle of the court, watching in disbelief as balls of death flew around him.

The gym coach still wasn't seeing anything. He tapped his hearing aid like the explosions were giving him interference, but he kept his eyes on his magazine. Surely the whole school could hear the noise. The headmaster, police, would come eventually maybe even the army or a nuke if a clear-sighted mortal could see all this. "Victory will be ours!" roared 'Joe Bob' "We will feast on your bones!"

I wanted to tell him that he was getting a little competitive for dodgeball, but before I could he hefted another ball. The other three giants followed his lead. James was going to die if I didn't do something soon, so much for no problems at the mortal school, I had a crazy idea though. i ran towards the locker rooms. "Move!" I told the gym students, "Away from the door."

Explosions behind me. The cyclops had batted two of the balls back towards their owners and blasted them to ashes. That left two giants still standing. A third ball was hurtled straight at me. I forced myself to wait - one Mississippi, Two Mississippi - then dived aside as the fiery sphere demolished the locker room door.

Now, I figured that the built-up gas in most boys' locker rooms was enough to cause an explosion, half of one if you trusted Artemis's opinion, so I wasn't surprised when the flaming dodgeball ignited a huge WHOOOOOOO!

The wall blew apart. Locker doors, socks, athletic supports, and other various nasty personal belongings rained all over the gym. I turned just in time to see the cyclops punch another giant in the face. The giant crumpled. But the last giant, Joe Bob, had wisely held onto his own ball waiting for an opportunity. He threw just as the cyclops was turning to face him. "No!" James yelled

The ball caught the cyclops square in the chest. He slid the length of the court and slammed into the back wall, which cracked and partially crumbled on top of him, making a hole right onto Church street. Thankfully, the cyclops was still alive, he looked dazed but other than that he was fine. The bronze ball was smoking at his feet, he tried to pick it up but he fell back, stunned, into a pile of cinder blocks. "Well!" Joe Bob gloated, "I'm the last one standing! I'll have enough meat to bring Babycakes a doggy bag!"

He picked up another ball and aimed it at the cyclops. "Hey, Bob Joe!" I yelled, "Come over and get this tasty demigod flesh!" 

The giant grinned. "You wish to die first, young hero?"