( шестнадесет ) . . . 𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐘𝐄𝐓.

★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐍 𝐖𝐀𝐒 going down as they flew north over the Richmond Bridge. Piloting the chopper, Leo went back and forth between confidence and panic. Iliya noticed he automatically flipping the right switches, checking the altimeter, easing back on the stick, and flying straight.

"Going okay?" Piper asked from the copilot's seat. She sounded more nervous than he was.

"Aces," he said. "So what's the Wolf House?"

Jason knelt between their seats. "An abandoned mansion in the Sonoma Valley. A demigod built it—Jack London."

"He an actor?"

"Writer," Iliya said, remembered she found his name on somewhere between her memory. "Adventure stuff, right? Call of the Wild? White Fang?"

"Yeah," Jason said. "He was a son of Mercury—I mean, Hermes. He was an adventurer, traveled the world. He was even a hobo for a while. Then he made a fortune writing. He bought a big ranch in the country and decided to build this huge mansion—the Wolf House."

"Named that 'cause he wrote about wolves?" Leo guessed. 

"Partially," Jason said. "But the site, and the reason he wrote about wolves—he was dropping hints about his personal experience. There're a lot of holes in his life story—how he was born, who his dad was, why he wandered around so much—stuff you can only explain if you know he was a demigod."

The bay slipped behind them, and the helicopter continued north. Ahead of them, yellow hills rolled out as far as Iliya could see. 

"So Jack London went to Camp Half-Blood," Leo guessed.

"No," Jason said. "No, he didn't."

Iliya frowned as she thought, if he didn't went to Camp Half-Blood then where did he goes?

"Bro, you're freaking me out with the mysterious talk. Are you remembering your past or not?"

"Pieces," Jason said, sound hurtful to try remember those lost memories. 

"Only pieces. None of it good. The Wolf House is on sacred ground. It's where London started his journey as a child—where he found out he was a demigod. That's why he returned there. He thought he could live there, claim that land, but it wasn't meant for him. The Wolf House was cursed. It burned in a fire a week before he and his wife were supposed to move in. A few years later, London died, and his ashes were buried on the site."

"So," Piper said, "how do you know all this?"

A shadow crossed Jason's face. Probably just a cloud, but Iliya could swear the shape looked like an eagle.