Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

“Where are we going?” Dylan asked curiously.

I brushed a branch away from my face. “You be patient,” I said sternly. “There’s still a long way to go, but trust me it’ll be fun.”

Last night, after everyone tidied up, I was left alone in the main room and I got to thinking. Everybody did such an amazing job helping me and I wanted to do something for them too. As a kid, and even now, I always loved hiking. So as soon as I got the idea, I went to Raina’s computer and printed out a map of the area. The forest near us was pretty big and if you went too deep, you might get lost. Good thing I have a good sense of direction and a map. On the other side of the forest was this camp, but it was like one of those reserved areas for families to go to. There’s a small lake that leads into a pretty big river right beside it so I decided that we should hike there, go for a swim or a canoe ride, then come back. It would probably take all day – more than 12 hours at the least – so we might have to stay over night. The weather’s really nice though, and camping outside seems like fun.

“Can we eat our sandwiches now?” a little girl, called Sandy, said.

“We’re not even half way there yet. If we eat them now, you’ll go hungry later,” I told her.

We had only been walking for about 2 hours, and it would take another 2 to get to the end of the forest. It was lucky that Camp Fun was located right on the edge, so we didn’t have to walk through the middle. That would take days.

"What are we gonna be doing?" Alison asked.

"We're going somewhere wet for sure, or else she wouldn't have asked us to put on our swim suits," Ariane answered, while trying to get a kid to let go of her shirt.

"You're the only one wearing it. We don't even have swim suits," Jackson mumbled.

"Well it's not my fault you don't come prepared. It is camp after all," Ariane sniffed.

"I just kinda assumed we weren't going to be doing anything since we haven't been doing anything for the past 3 years," Jackson said, looking miffed.

Ariane stalked past Jackson and flicked the back of his head with her fingers. "That's just too bad for you."

I turned around. "Guys, relax. Hopefully, no one will get wet but we're still going to be doing something with water."

"Argh Calvin! What are you doing?" James shouted.

We all looked at James who was rolling around on the floor with Calvin sitting ontop of him. In Calvin's hand was a plastic horse, the one from Toy Story, and he was using it to hit James.

"Guys, help me," James begged.

"Hey man, you volunteered to take him," Jackson laughed.

Before we left for our expedition, we had to split the kids into 5 groups, one for James, Alison, Ariane, Jackson and Dylan. I didn't get a group because they decided that I needed to focus on not getting lost instead. It turns out that there were 21 kids in total (I never knew that. Everyone agreed to lead groups of 4 but that would leave 1 extra—Calvin. Everyone already saw what a trouble maker Calvin was so no one wanted to be in charge of him. Apparently, since James loves kids, he volunteered to take care of 5 kids instead of 4.  

"You could at least help me," James said, still wrestling Calvin.

Rolling my eyes, I pulled out a mini bag of M&Ms and threw it at Calvin. "Get the chocolate Calvin."

He immediately stopped harassing James and grabbed the bag, tearing it open enthusiatically.

"Thanks," James muttered, getting up off the ground.