Chapter 14

I'M SO SOSOSOSOSO SORRY. I SWEAR TO YOU I AM.

but i just had writer's block.

and now, i officially hate this story.

----------------------------------------------------

I jumped back from Nate faster than lightning. He was still looking at me with a soft expression. Turning my back to him, I scan the forest.

“Is somebody there?” I called out.

A shadow stepped out of the forest. “Miss? Are you alright?”

It took me a few seconds to realize the man was a police officer. When I did, I nodded. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Are you Sarah Bentley?” he asked in all seriousness.

I didn’t know what to say. My head bobbed up and down. Yes.

The man sighed (in relief?) and pulled out a walkie-talkie from inside his jacket. “It’s Jack. I found her.”

He said some more things into the walkie-talkie. I didn’t bother paying attention. When the man got off the walkie-talkie, he walked up to me. “Don’t worry Sarah, you’re safe now.”

“Thanks,” I whispered, still in shock.

The man—Jack—smiled again and started out the clearing. “Let’s get you back to the camp.”

I began to follow him, then I remembered that I was still with Nate. “Hey, let’s get out of here,” I said to him.

Nate didn’t move, so I went up and pulled his arm. “Come on.”

With a small grunt, he trailed after me, and I trailed after the man out of the forest. Turns out, the way out didn’t take that long. Within two hours, we were reaching the outskirts of the forest. There was a group of police cars and officers lined up outside, talking amongst themselves. When we got near them, four of the officers came rushing towards us, all talking at once.

“Good job, Jack.”

“You kids alright?”

“We’re going to need to know what happened, miss.”

“Are you hungry?”

From the corner of my eye, I saw my mom leaning against one of the police cars. What was she doing here? Pushing past the officers, I walked over to her.

“Mom?”

“Oh, Sarah,” she said, running to me. “Are you alright? Are you hurt?”

“No mom, I’m fine. What are you doing here?” I asked.

“I’m your mother! I was worried,” she replied.

I had to restrain myself from laughing in her face. Her? Worried? Yeah right. But instead, I said, “Oh, that’s nice.”

“How could you have been so stupid to go wandering off into that forest alone?” she scolded.

I rolled my eyes. “But mom –”

“Didn’t you know what you would get lost? And you didn’t even bring a map? Do you know what I had to do to come here? Because of you, I had to call off 5 meetings, and missed 3 important lunch dates –”

“Mom,” I said, getting annoyed.

“Obviously you don’t care about others,” she continued. “Did you even think of me before you acted so hastily? Were you trying to get me in trouble? Was that what you were trying to do? I mean, honestly Sarah, I thought you’d have better judgement than –”