Our Alices, Our Mission

"There's been a change in plans. Natsume has been rescued, so it's now out objective to find and eliminate Reo Mouri," Akira informed me.

Only minutes ago had his phone rung, Persona updating him on the mission's status.

"Whatever happens, don't listen to Reo's voice."

"Okay..."

"No, I'm serious. Think Narumi, but instead, Reo controls people with his voice."

"Got it." I seriously didn't want to think about what would happen if I was put under control.

"Okay, let's go and kick ass." Akira cheerfully unsheathed his gun, and I squinted at an red haired figure in the distance.

 I tapped his shoulder, pointing. "Say, is that him?"

"What, oh crap. There goes any chances of an ambush." He exhaled before issuing commands. "When I fire, support me with your Alice. We'll aim to take him down from a distance. And I'll reiterate: avoid listening to his voice at all costs."

"Alright. I'm ready." I assumed what I hope was a battle ready position, hoping I didn't screw up and trip during a crucial moment due to nerves. The fox mask felt foreign against my face, and I tried to ignore it. I looked over to see Akira as calm as usual, and I wondered how many times he had been sent out on missions. Did he feel anything anymore when he killed? Or had any remnants of emotions left him with each person he killed? Perhaps I would ask him after the whole ordeal.

Bang.

As soon as the harsh sound of a fired bullet reached my ears, I prepared several orbs of water around me, freezing them into jagged spears of ice. Alerted by the noise, Reo looked over, and he tensed, before moving out of the bullet's trajectory. Just as it was about to miss him, the bullet suddenly curved, homing in on Reo, who looked far more alarmed than he did when he first saw the bullet. "Homing bullets?" I decided to ask.

"Yes and no; it's actually my Alice. I can create different bullets and fire them out of my gun," Akira explained, absently spinning the pistol in his hand as he talked. Reo was holding his arm, which was now bleeding. I guessed that he decided to take the bullet in his arm to avoid getting hit in the chest.

Sensing that I probably should be doing something, I sent the ice I had at the ready toward Reo, the shards making a whistling sound as it sliced through the air, and at its target.

"Boss! We're here!" A group of men clad in black ran up to Reo, signaling and gesticulating wildly. "Hurry up and get into the car! We'll covers for you!"

Reo deliberated for no longer than be second before starting to run. "I'll be counting on you."

"Oh no you don't," Akira growled out from next to me, firing five bullets in quick succession, all of them aimed at Reo, before running. "Kai, I'll go after Reo, you clean up here."

"Alright, got it." I looked at the men surrounding me with a sinking feeling. Was I to kill them? More like, was I able to kill them? My inner voice chimed in, and I attempted to tune it out. I didn't want to have to deal with my conscience when I already had such a heavy task to deal with.

I quickly drew up eight spheres of water this time—one for each opponent—and hastily froze them as half of the men rushed in at me. I thrust out with the ice spears, impaling the four who had run at me. The two who I had pierced through cleanly died instantly. The other two, whose vital organs I missed writhed in pain on the floor, face contorting in pain, mouth moving to form unspoken words. They spasmed, and looked like they were in no condition to get up soon, if at all. I attempted to suppress the feeling of sickness welling up from my stomach as I turned my attention back to the remaining personnel.