Excitement

My eyes snapped open at the sound of violent coughing that came from next to me. I quickly sit up, and then regret it immediately. Black dots danced in my vision, and I feel dizzy. When I could finally see clearly, I rushed over to Natsume’s side, where he’s hunched over, clearly suffering.

I lightly tapped his shoulder and he barely responds. He’s curled up and hasn’t looked up once since I woke up. “I’ll fetch the doctor.” The words had barely made it out of my mouth when he grabs the base of my shirt, holding me back.

“I’m—cough—okay. Don’t need the—hack—doctor,” Natsume made out between a series of violent coughs.

“You are most definitely not okay.”

“It’s none of your business.” Sheesh, there goes his attitude again, I thought.

“Hah, none of my business, my ass! You’re the one hacking up your lungs. How can you be okay? Which part of this looks okay to you?” I  tried to restrain from raising my voice, as I know that Natsume’s sick.

“Just leave me alone. It’ll—cough—pass.”

“And my answer is no.” The grip on my shirt tightened, with him clenching onto the fabric more tightly, his knuckles white with the force. “Sheesh…I won’t, okay?” I finally gave in.

“Then where—cough—are you going?”

“Getting you a glass of water.”

“Can’t you just—hack—use your Alice?”

“No,” was my fast reply.

“Hmph.” He let out a huff in return.

“Here’s your water,” I called out when I returned to the bedroom with a glass of cold water in my hand.  There was no sign of my roommate in the area. He must have escaped when he was out of my sight. “Natsume…you idiot.” Shaking my head, I went to go get ready for class.

“Oh…Kai.” The first person I saw when I stepped out of the room was Ruka, standing there with a surprised look on his face.

“Need something from me?”

“Morning,”Ruka simply replied.

“Good morning. So?” I prompt, and he scuffs his shoe on the floor. I’m guessing he’s probably nervous, although I can’t ascertain the reason.

“Natsume’s not with you?” Ruka’s face was kept down, never once making eye contact with me.

“No…” I hesitated on telling him the reason, but perhaps it’s best if he knows. They’re best friends, after all, my mind reminded me. “Well, he was sick this morning, and when I let him out of my sight, he escaped,” I admitted.