A New Student's Test

Beep. Beep

Beep. Beep. Beep.

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was that Natsume was not next to me, and it was a strange feeling, really. No sarcastic voice to wake up to just felt out of place. Did he leave without me?

I reached over and placed my hand on my roommate’s side of the bed. The sheets were cold to the touch, signifying that he had gotten out of bed quite a while ago. Where the heck did he go? Deciding not to mull over it too much, I quickly fixed my appearance in the mirror and threw on my school uniform. I looked slightly better than I the day before; my blue eyes were no longer shadowed by a light hue of purple. A good sleep had taken its effect.

Just as I finished my morning routine, a figure came bursting into the room, startling me and causing high speed orbs of icy water to be launched at the trespasser. Wait. I glanced at the clock beside the bed, the flashing digits telling me I was running exceedingly late. I had just attacked a teacher.

“Sorry for startling you, Kai.” A familiar voice spoke hurriedly, making me curious. Narumi was usually an extremely laid-back character. To see him speak with such uncharacteristic urgency was a rare case.

“Just get straight to the point.”

“Well…have you seen either Natsume or Ruka?”

“Are they missing?” I probed, hoping to find out some information as well.

“I thought you might have some knowledge on what happened.”

“Unfortunately, I don’t. Natsume was already gone by the time I woke up.” It would be better to cut to the chase rather than to play mind games with the pheromone Alice user.

“Damn.” To hear the blonde teacher curse was rarer still. “I’m going to have to leave now. Just head to class while I try to find those two troublemakers.” With that, he was out the door. I sighed then left the room, being sure to lock it. Did he try to escape?

“Hah…so hectic.”

~+~+~+~+~

The classroom was in its usual state of disarray with our homeroom teacher, Narumi, out of the room. I heard a whizzing sound and instinctively ducked, a hard object narrowly missing my head and smashing into the blackboard with a loud clank. I eyed the hole in the blackboard apprehensively. Had that been my head… I tried to clear the foreboding thoughts. These students had no concept of safetyat all.

 Moving out of the danger zone, I headed to my desk where no stray objects hurtled about. The only downside was that Perm-Head and her clique stood close by. When the president of the Natsume and Ruka fan club saw me head over, she glared. “What do you think you’re doing here?”

“Getting to my seat.”

“Don’t think you’re all that just because you’re Natsume’s partner!”

“You think being with him is a good thing?”

“You don’t understand the privilege of being his partner. He’s the—”

I could tell she was going to bore me. “I’m not going to stick around to hear you boast about him.” My lack of interest was blatantly obvious from my tone.

Sumire huffed. “Fine. Have it your way.”

“Oh? Here I thought you’d never shut up. I’m glad I was proven wrong.” I taunted,

“You—” Perm-Head was tempted to say something but thought better of it at the last second. “Hey you, where are you going?” She called out after me when she saw me starting to leave. Narumi wouldn’t be back any time soon, so I had decided to get some Alice practice in.