Central Town

“The No Star only got 500 yen!”

 “Kai! How much did you get?” The No-Star’s wide eyes come into view.

“Nothing,” was my answer to Mikan’s question.

“Eeeeh?”

“My Star rank hasn’t been decided yet, remember?”

“Oh yeah.”

We sat at our desks, our allowance having just been handed out.

“Yosh! Since we’ve got our allowances, and it’s Saturday, want to go to Central Town?”

If Sakura Mikan had dog ears, they would have perked right up. “What? What? What’s Central Town?” She jumped about, her earlier dejection gone.

“Central Town is like a shopping street inside the school’s perimeter,” Hotaru explained.

“Well, seeing is believing, so why don’t you go?” Another one of her friends interjected.

“So, Hotaru, is there anywhere special you go to get a higher price for your products?”

“Selling something?” Hotaru Imai finished the food she was eating and tossed the can into the bin.

“Yeah, I’ve been thing about making some money on the side,” I replied.

“You’ve never been to Central Town?” Her tone was one of mild surprise, but the emotion didn’t show up on her face.

“No, this is the first time I’ve even heard of the place.”

“So what are you going to sell? I can direct you to a few good stores.”

“Water with special properties, maybe?”

“That’s no problem. Then want to meet up at Central Town?”

“Sure.”

“Whaaaaat? Hotaru and Kai are already friends? That’s not fair! Include me,” Mikan whined, having overheard our conversation.

“We’re not,” Hotaru and I both replied in unison.

“I guess it’s time for me to go. Mikan will probably need to get permission from the teacher, so see you guys later.” I hopped off the desk and scanned the room for Ruka and Natsume.

I spotted the inseparable duo at the corner of the room, by themselves. Strangely, there was a young child in Natsume’s arms.

I decided to speak. “Natsume, what’s with the kid?” I glance at the kid, then at Natsume, the back down. “You two look pretty similar… although, unlike you, he’s actually cute.”