What did I do? ~ Cali and New York backstory (and kinda Texas)

New York ran up the stairs upon hearing a crash. Loud crashing sounds continued to ring down the halls. He flung open a door to one of the bedrooms. There stood an enraged California.

"Cal? What are you doing?" He inquired as he scanned the room's messy state, a slight tinge of a worried tone sneaking into his otherwise neutral voice.

    She slowly turned to face him, his face very quickly twisting into a mix of emotions. Her usually nicely done up hair was a mess, it was coming out of the bun she had put it in and frizzing up every which way. More concerning to him however, was her face. Her tear stained yet enraged face. She gave out a shaky, anger filled, breath.

"I. Am. Going. To. Kill. Him." She stated in a low voice, enunciating each word.

    New York wasn't one to get scared or worried. Yet staring at Cali in this state sent a shiver up his spine.

    Over the course of the past few weeks she seemed to be slowly losing herself. Her words hung heavy as they stared at each other.

    He was fairly certain he knew who she was referencing, not that it helped calm him. In fact, it worried him more. Because knowing who she was speaking of put even more weight to her words, and made them even more likely to become true.

"What do you mean Cal?" He asked in as calm a voice he could muster, taking a step towards. As he waited for an answer he wished more and more he hadn't been the one to investigate the noise.

"He. Needs. To. Die. And if it's the last thing I do, I'll be the one to do it." She explained, a slight grin creeping onto her face.

"Cal. What happened at the pond?"

    The grin left her face faster than it came. She glared at him.

"He couldn't answer me. He chose the wrong choice. He's not... him." She went quiet, looking at her feet.

He took another step towards her, but before he could speak she asked,

"York? What did I do to him?" She quietly asked. Her rage slowly leaving her.

    He stared at her, not sure how to answer. She hadn't done anything. Everyone knew that. The only person who still hadn't accepted it, was her.

    He knew quite a bit about the true story of what had happened. Yet not enough of the story to tell her. In fact, he was quite sure no one knew the full story, except for the boy in question. Besides the boy, Louisiana and Georgia probably knew the most of all their siblings. Although he doubted anyone would know the full story.

    All that being said, how was he supposed to answer her? She hadn't done anything. But he already knew she wouldn't accept that. And so he said something that he would come to regret.

"You didn't do anything, it's him."

"...Really?"

"Yes. Stuff happened when he went out, you didn't do anything, he's just... dealing with his own stuff."

"..." She thought for a moment, still looking down. A small smile snuck onto her face. "Then... it's not too late... Once this is over... I can... help him... it'll be my turn..."

...

"I HATE YOU!"

    His stomach knotted as he looked at Texas' face.

...A smile? A sad, broken smile? What just happened? What would happen? Would he ever know? Would this guilty feeling ever leave? Or would he always feel guilty about what Cali had just tried to do? Had he not said what he'd said, and fueled the fire, what would have happened?

    He doubted he'd ever know. At one point, he stopped caring. That looming guilt left. Or at least subsided enough for him to ignore it. The only feeling he still held onto was a simple thought.

Why did I have to be the one to check out the noise?