Until we meet again ~ New York backstory

This takes place while New York was still apart of the 13 colonies. So their both younger. Not quite children but not anything older then 14.

~~~~~

New York's POV

I sat by the pond, waiting for her. I looked out at the glittering water, reflecting the light of the moon. It was really nice and peaceful out here. A nice contrast from my house.

I heard someone walking up behind me. I turned to see her. She stood there in her usual white and royal blue attire. Her beautiful black hair up in a bun. Her striking blue eyes glittering in the light of the moon. Her soft pale skin perfectly lit by the moon.

I got up and ran over to her, engulfing her in a hug which she promptly returned.

"Quebec! There you are! How are you?" I ask her, pulling back from the hug. She giggled and smiled at me. She was honestly pretty tall for a girl, she was about my height, inching a bit taller.

"Bonjour New York, I'm quite well, how are you?" She asked. Her accent was one of the sweetest things I've ever heard. Much nicer then the stupid British one I'm stuck with.

"I'm great now that you're here!" I beamed.

We walked over and took a seat by the pond.

"Did anyone see you?" She asked.

"Nope! I'm very good at sneaking. What about you?" I asked.

"Of course not. I would never make such a mistake as to be seen."

We started chatting about various things. Man I loved this time of week. For one night, every week, it's just the two of us and this beautiful view. I loved it.

Eventually our hands found each other. We looked at each other and smirked.

"Oh my, good sir!" Quebec giggled, scooting closer to me.

"Apologies Mme but your hand just looked so lonely, I simply couldn't let it be." I laughed back.

We stared at each other for a bit before we both leaned in.

"Can I kiss you? I liked it last time." I whispered. Quebec gave a small giggle.

"Sure, I liked it too." She told me.

We leaned in closer, closing our eyes, and kissing each other. I have no clue if we're doing this right, but we did it like this last time and she said that it was right since that's how France kissed people. I guess it didn't matter if we did it right or not though, we both liked it so it was fine.

~Time Skip~

It's been a few weeks since I've seen her and I'm starting to get worried.

"York!" Mass barged into my room.

"Yeah?" I responded, quite annoyed.

"Frenchies are here visiting, get your butt downstairs and say hi." She told me.

My eyes widened and a smile grew on my face. I quickly ran out of the room and down the stairs. I finally made it to the front door where they were all standing.

"Hey guys!" I yelled as I ran over. They all looked like over.

"Bonjour New York." Quebec smiled.

"Hey!"

"Hi!"

"Hello!"

A few more chimed in with various greetings. 13 asked that I showed them to the guest rooms. I eagerly nodded and showed them to their rooms, waiting outside Quebec's. She finally came back out.

"We need to talk." She told me, a serious look in her eyes. My stomach dropped, did I do something wrong?

We walked out to the pond we usually met at. My thoughts were racing. We sat down and I looked at her, waiting.

"We can't do this anymore." She looked at me with tear filled eyes.

"What?! Why not?" I asked. This can't be the end.

"France is giving myself and my siblings to Britain." She told me.

"That's great! That means we could see each other more!" I excitedly responded. Why would that mean we have to stop seeing each other? She shook her head, tears starting to stream from her eyes.

"She already laid out the rules for what we will be able to do and what we won't be able to do. Given the strictness of these rules I don't think it'll be possible." She explained. She started to tell me some of the rules. They were ridicules, she's not that strict with us. "I'm sorry." She quietly added at the end. Tears pouring from her eyes now.

Before I could say anything she got up and went to leave. I quickly stood and grabbed her hand. She looked back, confused.

"That's fine then! We'll just wait! Once we can do whatever we want we can do this again! And we won't even have to sneak out!" I told her.

"What?" She blinked, her tears slowing down.

"One day we won't have to listen to her anymore! Then we'll be able to be together!" I repeated. She smiled softly through the tears.

"I would love that..." She quietly said.

"Then it's a deal. I promise you, Quebec, that one day we'll be together again." I said. She giggled, wiping her tears.

"I promise you, New York, that one day we'll be together again." We both laughed. She slowly took off her necklace, a silver fleur de lis one. She handed it to me.

"Keep this until that day." She smiled. I took it and reached into my pocket. I pulled out my very decorated pocket watch and handed it to her.

"Same to you." She took it.

We managed to enjoy each other's company for the few days they were over.

I didn't see her after that. For decades. I honestly almost forgot about her. Until dad made us pay a visit to Canada and her kids.

"Bonjour, I'm Quebec."