Turst me ~ Mississippi backstory

This takes place sometime during the civil war. Mississippi is a child. Technically. Obviously by actual land age she's much older. But physically and mentally she's a child. Somewhere around 12.

Trigger warning: This chapter alludes to the possibility of rape. If that makes you uncomfortable or anything in that round house maybe skip this chapter.

~~~~~

Mississippi POV

I walked beside Dixie as he went on about how the last battle went. I quickly walked next to him, trying not to fall behind.

He looked down at me. He gave a smirk.

"Are alright dear? You seem to be struggling." He told me.

"Nope! I'm fine!" I told him happily. Last thing I wanted was for him to think I was weak. I'm just as strong as the others.

"Good, good." He stopped and grabbed my arm.

I didn't like it. I don't know why, but I didn't. He pulled me over and pushed me against the wall, causing me to drop the papers I had been holding.

He towered over me. He looked down at me, eyes almost glowing. It scared me. He knelt down, although he was still much taller.

"You're a very pretty girl, you know that dear?" He asked. He moved one hand to my face and the other to my waist. I shivered under his touch. His rough hand moved my hair behind one of my ears. He left it there, cupping my cheek. His other hand wrapped securely around my small waist. He went on, "Not the prettiest, but still, pretty enough."

I felt a tear roll down my cheek. His smile grew. He leaned down, our faces just barely not touching. He leaned in as if to kiss me. I had wanted to kiss him for a while, but not like this. Now I didn't want it. Now I just wanted to be with my siblings again.

I closed my eyes, waiting to feel his lips. But they never came. Instead, a loud thud and him screaming came. I shot my eyes open to see a tall women in a pretty blue dress dragging him by the ear as he screamed and cursed at her. She dragged him around a corner. I could here her screaming but couldn't make out what she was saying.

I felt more tears stain my cheeks. I quickly started gathering my papers again. I heard more thuds or things of the sort. Then I heard heels. The sound stopped in front of me. I slowly looked up.

The lady who had just dragged Dixie away stood there. Her dress was blue and white. It was very pretty. She had very pale skin and dark black hair. She held a blue fan in front of her mouth and nose. She looked to be in her late teens early 20s maybe. Hard to say. Her eyes were a deep blue as they gazed down at me. But as we made eye contact they softened.

I could see her smile in her eyes before she bent down. I stopped gathering my papers as she placed a hand on my face. I liked her hands much better. They were soft and smooth, kinda like Lou's. I liked when Lou cupped my face.

"Are you alright?" She asked. She had an accent I hadn't heard in years. British.

"Y-Yes. Thank you." I told her.

"Of course." She nodded her head. It was an odd British accent though. It was almost as though another accent was trying to poke through.

She stood up and offered a hand, still not moving her fan. I took her hand and she helped me up.

"Let's get you home." She told me.

"O-Okay... but what about the papers?" I asked, looking down at the many pieces that scattered the floor.

"Never mind those, you need to get home." She sternly said. I gave in and we started walking.

"Who are you?" I finally asked. This lady felt very familiar but I don't know from where.

"Oh right, how rude of me. My name is Mary." She told me with a little curtsy. "And you are Mississippi, correct?" She asked.

"Yes I am. How do you know me?" I asked.

"Well you're a confederate state. Anyone keeping up with the war will know who you are."

"That's fair I guess." I looked down. "Why did you help me?" I asked her.

"I saw you were in trouble. I wasn't just going to leave you." Her voice had gone serious. "That being said." I looked up at her. "You have siblings, correct?"

"Yes."

"Tell them what happened."

"What?! Why?" I asked. Sure I didn't like what happened but it wasn't a big deal, right? I didn't want to make a big scene over something small. Her eyes narrowed.

"Do you understand what he just tried to do?" She asked.

"N-No, not really." I answered honestly. It was just a kiss. Right?

"Then please, listen to me and tell them. You may not understand it now, but one day you will, I just pray you won't learn the hard way. But if you don't tell them you might just have to learn the hard way." She told me.

"I don't understand."

"Good. You're a child, you shouldn't." She quickened her pace a bit.

We walked in silence for a bit.

"Where are you from?" I asked her. She let out a sigh.

"London, England. I'm visiting a friend." She told me. That didn't seem likely. I've heard many London accents, none of them sound like hers. But I could be wrong, I'm sure she knows where she's from, I don't wanna push it.

I look up ahead, I can see the house. We stop at the start of the path up to the door.

"This is it." I told her.

"Lovely. Well, this is where we say our goodbyes." She gave another curtsy. The fan not having moved from her face the whole time.

I paused for a second before jumping forward and hugging her. "Thank you."

"Your welcome." She hugged back with her free hand.

I ran up the path, stopping at the door to wave back at her as she left. I went inside.

"There ya are!" Georgia announced as he ran over, giving me a hug. "Where's Dix?" He asked. I looked around at all of the others. I know Mary said to tell them... but I can't. Not now.

"I don't know. I lost him."

"Mary's" POV

"So, how did your date go?" One of my sisters asked in a teasing tone.

"It wasn't a date." I responded. "I hardly saw him. And the one time I did see him I was beating the ever loving day light out of him." I explained as I walked up the stairs to my room, finally allowing my voice to its natural French accent.

"Well then..." One of my brothers so helpfully added.

"I would say I'm surprised," The first of my sisters to speak spoke once again, "My goodness, what are we gonna do with you,

Quebec."