𝒍𝒊. 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅

"I'M SORRY, KIDS - THEY WOULDN'T LET ME WARN YOU."

In a huff, the twins returned to the place they were currently calling home, Tatum having calmed down a little along the walk, as Thomas soothed her with light music and distracting her with island gossip.

Heyward's warehouse, at the edge of town, and full of snacks. After leaving home, they camped out in the woods for a few nights. But when Pope's father seen them while on one of his nightly storage runs, there was no way he was going to let them stay out in the cold, where they were in danger of their brother catching them. That night, he took them to the warehouse with him, and set up two mattresses, telling them to feel free to eat whatever food was almost at its sell-by date. Which was basically everything. Tatum had always treasured this man - wishing he was her father, seeing him as the only male authority figure she had ever had - and she only grew to love him more that night. He saved them.

But when they stepped foot into the cold, large echoey walls of the warehouse today, the twins were faced with horror.

Leroy - he'd found them. To make matters worse, standing behind their older brother was their father, pointing a gun at Heyward's head.

"Let him go," said Thomas quickly, thinking of Pope in this moment. That boy could not go the rest of his life without a father - especially when a father like Heyward was literally one in a million.

Leroy chuckled darkly as he and his father turned to the twins. The gun wasn't taken off the man's head, but a new one was pointed at Thomas'. Tatum searched her bikini straps. She searched her bras. Barry had taken away all of her weapons. And she was hopeless in a fist fight with her dad and brother - the superior Quinns.

"What is the first rule of being a Quinn?" Nathan demanded, threatening the tears sliding out of his son's eyes with a glare.

"'No kid of yours is gonna be a pussy'," Thomas recited, his voice shaky as the gun dug further into Heyward's head. He wished there was something he could do. But there was nothing.

"And what are the worst type of pussies?" their father went on with a deadly grin.

Tears slid down Tatum's face. She didn't know where to look. Her father pointing a gun at her dad? Her brother pointing a gun at her twin? She was terrified.

"Puffs," replied Thomas, looking down at the floor in shame.

Heyward's face broke at the words of the young boy. Countless times he had taken Tatum to school, had her over for dinner, held her while she cried, but he never took a moment to consider her twin brother. Her twin brother, who was responsible for transforming his son into a shiny, confident person. Pope had always been quiet and awkward, but the last few weeks he'd been getting close to the Quinn boy, he slowly began to grow his own voice. Heyward had always had a fatherly, protective bone in his body. But there truly wasn't anything he could do to protect these kids, and it killed him.

"And what do we do when someone breaks that rule?" Nathan pressed, nodding to his oldest son.

"We kill them," Leroy answered for him, clicking the safety lock off his gun.

"STOP!" cried Tatum, fearlessly standing in front of Thomas, shielding him with her body.

"Don't think I won't shoot you, too, Tate."

"Shut the fuck up, Lee."

Everything in the room paused. Nobody had ever spoken with such fierceness towards Leroy Quinn before. It was unheard of. Nobody had ever not been scared of him. Children pissed their pants just at the sight of the man.

Nathan laughed and clapped his hands. "That's my girl!" he cheered. His face dropped into seriousness. "Now, move aside so we can get rid of the deadweight."

Tatum stubbornly dug her feet in the ground, crossing her arms. "We're all gay, Dad," she told him without fear. "Joe, Thomas, me..." Her eyes trailed to Leroy, who finally, for the first time in his life, held true fear in his eyes. "...Little golden boy over there's bummed, like, the whole island. But at least we're not like you, Dad. At least we're not revolting, cowardly rapists."

Once again, Heyward's face deflated more. He had no idea.

She turned to her older brother with a deadly look in her eye. "And if the rumours are true, your a necrophiliac, too, Lee." Tatum shrugged. "So, what are you gonna do, Dad? You gonna kill all your heirs 'cause we're dirty, little gays?" She almost winced at the foul world coming out of her mouth. But using his words against him was powerful. And it made her feel great.

She took a step forward, staring into her father's eyes with a darkness in her orbs.
"Do it, I dare you," she whispered. "I'll welcome your bullets with open arms."

Nathan threw his daughter back with a sudden burst of rage. She chuckled darkly, like a Quinn, as her head smashed off the floor, the deep gash at the bag of her head beginning to bleed all over again. And she let the rest happen. Every punch, every kick, every dash of blood, until Thomas couldn't take it anymore.

"Get. The fuck. Off. My sister." He parted each word with a punch towards his own father. And he loved it. Finally, after sixteen years, he grew the strength to hit back.

Leroy threw him back without hesitation, but not before giving Tatum a boot in the face for outing him. Their dad wouldn't believe her, anyway - not after he protected him. She was just an idiot. Worthy of being a Quinn, but too stupid to want her title.

When Heyward finally stood up, Thomas shook his head. "Don't," he gasped as another swing was taken to his head. "They'll kill you."

"They're killing you," Pope's dad argued, attempting to throw Nathan's hand away from his daughter.

Thomas shook his head, fighting against the restraint Leroy had on him as their father stood up furiously, and pulled out a gun.

Laid on the floor, close to passing out, drenched in her own blood, Tatum watched the next few moments happen behind a blur.

Nathan aimed the gun at Heyward.

Thomas escaped Leroy's grasp.

There was a gunshot.

Thomas fell to the ground.