1

'Words' - Mind Link conversation
Words/Words - Shawn/Aadya conversations or POV Character's thoughts
Words - Conversations in different languages
(Words) - Words ~ on the right hand side - Author's Note

Shawn's POV

If you must know leaving home is very bittersweet, but Baltimore isn't where you wanna stay for long.

We moved to another part of Maryland around my 15th birthday, but I had many friends and family that still lived in parts of Baltimore. So I was practically going over there as much as I could.

I was born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland and there for most of my life...I'm 18 so that's pretty much most of it I guess. Anyway, I got mad love for my city, always will, but it's ruthless here. 

I have seen many school and neighborhood friends victims to gun and gang violence, homegirls to domestic violence, and lost my best bitch to a little ass boy who couldn't come to terms with his sexuality.

I've seen true talent rise and grow. Shit. I've even cross paths and supported them on their rise to fame.

But...we all know how most of those stories go, especially in the hood. It was a bad cycle that went on and on, sometimes a few got out, but, like I said, a few.

This move overall was the best for my family and I's mental health.

My mother was a well respected surgeon...but due to certain circumstances in large cities she chose to work in small areas from then on. When the opportunity to work as a surgeon in a town that could literally fall off the face of the earth arose, she swiped it.

Understandable.

But to say I was piss would be an understatement. I was hurt, hurt. Like seriously!! I just know deep in my soul that those town streets don't even possess the plant I love the most. And I damn sure ain't risking a 'say no to drugs' speech.

I'm already catching heat from the oven that brought me into this world.

"That town don't got no plug. No electricity to light up my upper room at all."

I sighed out, not thinking about what I was currently doing or who was around.

I was just so frustrated with the move. Don't get it wrong, I'm happy for my mother, but I don't have time to be the new kid... in a predominately white ass town.

Another, I just had this feeling that something was off about this town. Like there's something there, I just can't put my finger on whether it's good or bad.

I'm getting both, and that's why I'm worried.

"URRRGGHHHH!! What did I tell you, Shawn, about that smoking crap! I ain't having it!"

My forgotten about roommate reprimands.

"Maaaaaaaaa......."

I truly didn't know what to say. I forgotten she was even behind me at all.

Her face told me I shouldn't even try to defend the cause. But, honestly, she is gonna have to accept that this lady here is a stoner.