1- Nova

Nova:

It was late at night, I had just finished my shift at the bookstore— It was a small bookstore but it made me happy, not usually busy, but enough to stay open.

There would be people who would come and go and then there would be people who came regularly. Those where the ones I loved. The ones who would comment to their latest book, the ones who would address me by name, give me book recommendations and strike up a conversation.

Nevertheless I also loved the irregular customers, all nice, just the same. Mr Harvin owns the store, he is a sweetheart and lets me do what I want to, to the store, I've basically taken over. Opening early in the morning and closing late at night to accommodate those late night book owls.

I have a pretty perfect life— my Mother and Father where always there for me, they made sure I was safe and happy.

My two younger siblings are just as loved and we all luckily got along. Since we all moved out my parent have been travelling all over the world.

My brother, Theo is planing to take over the family business and my little sister, Rory, is off with her boyfriend exploring Australia.

That leaves me, I live in my hometown, content with studying for an English degree and working part time at Mr Harvins book store. It's not much but I'm happy.

I check my phone to see that it's 11:30pm it was pretty slow today so I decided it's probably time to close, I never mind staying late because I just read, which is what I'd be doing at home anyway.

Locking the door I begin my walk home, I have a car but I enjoy the walk. I enjoy the tranquility of the night, the slight chill in the air and the only light being from the moon and poorly lit streetlights. It's peaceful and allows my mind to wander into an alternative reality.

I enjoy the independence of it all, the whole living away from my family I mean. It does get a bit lonely of course, but I have my best friend who is like family and my brother that pops in every now and then.

Unfortunately there's no male lead to my uneventful life, I'm not sure if it's me or what but I've never been in love. obviously I believe in love, I read about it everyday and see it in my parents that act like they're still teenagers. But it's just not for me.

I've dated many guys in the past, but none of them are what I'm looking for. Which I'm beginning to think doesn't even exist, well maybe not in this lifetime anyway. Not that I mind, reading about it is enough for me, for now.

A loud groan brings me out of my thoughts. My gaze is drawn to a large figure laying on the ground. Oh lord. What do I do?

Looking around I don't see anyone in sight that could help. What if it's a trap? What if he kills me? I'm so close to my apartment, I should just go call for help.

The figure groans again and if I wasn't so panicked I'd admit that it sounds sexy. Snapping myself away from my thoughts I head towards the shadow that's groaning in pain.

Even if he does try to do something, Uncle Eli taught me how to fight so I'll be fine, I try to reassure myself as I inch closer.

Standing over the guy, the lamp illuminates his body, a large cut running down his side and his face looks like it's been bashed in. Seeing the immense pain he's in I quickly bend down to help him.

"Hey, Do you need help?" I question stupidly. Obviously he needs help.

The man tries to open his swollen eye to see me but is unsuccessful. He doesn't respond. I really need to get him to a hospital. He looks like he's about to die.