11- actually sick

Max:

I tossed and turned in my bed, my body fighting sleep as my mind runs miles per hour, I just can't get the way nova reacted out of my head. Did something happen? Did someone hurt her? Did I hurt her?

Was she crying because of me? I should've gone after her to talk and figure out what happened but she looked physically and emotionally drained.

Why can't I keep my hands to myself, she clearly didn't want to go all the way. Ugh I'm such an idiot.

I wasn't able to sleep at all last night, the guilt and uncertainty eating away at my mind.

She seemed like she was into me, god knows I'm into her, she's perfect, from her cute nose scrunch when she is confused to her plant obsession and insane art skills.

When I found out she didn't hate me it was like a mini celebration in my head.

Now she definitely hates me. Shit.

I glare at the clock next to my bed which reads 2am. Another night of no sleep I guess.

Sighing I go to take a shower when my phone buzzes.

Who's texting at this hour?

Groaning, I reach for my phone to see a notification from an unknown number.
As I go to put my phone down thinking it's a scam, a name in the text catches my eye. Nova.

I instantly open the text, skimming over the message

Unknown:

'Hey Max, it's Jesse, have you heard from nova? It's been almost two days and she's not responding to any of my texts. Mr. Harvin said she called in sick to work and she won't answer her door. Kai said you were the last one with her. '

Panic instantly arises in my stomach. This is all my fault. I quickly dial Jesse's number in hopes she'll pick up

"Hey" I hear her say after the second ring

"Hey, what do you mean you can't reach nova?"

"Exactly what I said, no one can reach her and I'm starting to get worried..." she says with a wobbly voice

"did anything happen between you two?" She asks and I sigh, should I tell her? Will she blame me? I'll never be able to see Nova again

"I- we we were messing around in my car" I start off choosing my words carefully

"Messing around?" Jesse says thoughtfully

"Yeah, and then she froze and started having a panic attack" I explain further

"Shit" she whispers through the phone like she knows something I don't.

"Is everything ok?" I ask worriedly, pacing back and forth in my room.

"Yeah yeah, it's not really my place to say but some toxic shit went down with her ex and it was a tough period in her life" she explains vaguely, clearly trying to fill me in but respecting Novas privacy as well

"Shit" I mumble, I should've taken it slow. I've got to apologize. Make sure she's ok.

"I've gotta go" I say into the phone, before hanging up.

I rush to grab a tshirt and some shorts, pulling them over my head as I race out the door.

I need to check that she's ok.

Nova:

I hear a loud knock waking me up from my sleep. My splitting headache returned tenfold. I wonder what my neighbours are doing at— I glance at my clock, 2:40 in the morning. Choosing to ignore it I snuggle further into my blankets letting their comfort overtake me.