2.1

surprise

.

"hear what?" i shrug, pretending i don't know anything.

"uh.. nevermind." she says quietly.

she slows her pace while i keep mine the same.

We pass her class and she stops.

"Bye Jungwon" she raises her voice making sure i can hear. I can hear alright, and I bet everyone else did too.

I just wave without turning back at her.

~~~~

I'm near their lockers. Hanging around with my friends when i'm just here so it doesn't look obvious that i'm waiting for someone.

Jake, Sunghoon and Jay come out one by one. I just continue to look at the door until she finally comes out.

Then, Niki comes out. His eyes meet mine almost immediately.

"I guess your here to walk your girlfriend home?" Niki whisper in my ear before opening his locker.

I raise an eyebrow, "Girlfriend?"

He clears his throat, "Sorry i should've been more clear, i meant Soyeon." he laughs sarcastically.

My fists clench from the urge to talk back to him.

"and what if I am?" i ask proudly.

He turns around once he closes his locker, his eyes look from behind me then back at me.

"Well then, thats good, because she's right there." he points at the person behind me with his head.

I turn around and look to see Soyeon, standing behind me while looking at the floor. I sigh in disappointment.

Then, Misun comes out of the classroom. She looks at us nervously as if she's processing how to get by us. Maybe we are blocking her locker.

I look at her and open my mouth, about to speak. But, she looks at me in fear.

I hear a faint, "ah, forget it." come out of her mouth, so quiet its more like i lip read it rather than hear it.

she walks past us and just leaves without putting her books in her locker.

I just watch as she quickly walks away. Maybe I can help her? if she's in a rush I could catch up still and help her with her books. i get hesitant, We go the same way anyways.

Niki speaks, "Looks more like your waiting for her rather than your girlfriend." he excessively air quotes the word girlfriend.

I turn to look at him, i shouldn't reply. He's just looking for a reaction anyway. I scoff and walk home, forgetting about Soyeon.

I hear her clearly speeding up to me from behind.

"Ah, Jungwon!" she stops speed-walking as i turn round.

"what?" i reply.

She looks down on the floor again, "I was just wondering, if you wanted to walk home together today?" she asks hesitantly.

I raise an eyebrow. This is new. usually im the one to ask her things, but she always refuses.

"why? we go separate ways." i reply.

I feel like i would've said yes right away if she asked me in the past. Why can't I now?

She adjusts her posture and looks up at me, "It's fine! I want to walk with you today." she smiles a hopeful smile.

I sigh, "i don't want to trouble you." i reply, "i really need to get going. i have to get to work." i lie.

"you have a job...?"she looks at me with a raised brow.

Right, i forgot this is news to her.

I simply just nod and swiftly turn around before dashing off.

~~~~

I dont actually have work today, but i came to the bakery anyway.

I sneakily take a bag of bungeoppang before leaving.

I go to the alley way from the side of the store, and to my surprise, I see halmeoni watering some of the flowers.

"woah, you scared me." i say with my hand against my chest.

She laughs, "What are you doing? You still have your uniform on."

I put my hand to the back of my head and awkwardly scratch it.

"..yeah, i just came from school." i sigh.

she nods then points at the bag of bread, "Whats that for? Are you delivering it to someone? You never bring bread home." she laughs in curiosity

I look down at the bread, "Oh this. I'm gonna give it to Misun."

Her smile suddenly goes away, "Ah, i see you've gotten close." she sighs while i nod.

"whats wrong" i say

She shakes her head, "Misun told me she wont be coming to help out much anymore. I'm not sure why but, she said she'll visit less as well." she sighs in grief, "She said she gave money too, but I dont remember her giving anything. All this was out of the blue."

My eyes widen, did she really quit? Right. That envelope. I never gave it to halmeoni or told her what the message said. I just tossed it on my desk when i got home and read it over and over again till i fell asleep hoping it was just a joke or something.

I sigh again, "Don't worry, i'll talk to her." i say as i grab the bike thats leaning on the wall before i take off.

"bye!" i yell as she smiles while waving.

Ugh, i groan.

I have the route perfectly memorised from that day i dropped her off when it was rainy.

Come to think of it, thats also when i saw someone with the same name as me messaging her.

Or should i say, when i was messaging her.

I'm still slowly understanding this whole thing.

Misun was usually always honest with me. But, it was a good type of honesty that made me feel comfortable.

That's what i like about her.

Ah, there it is. I remember what her house looked like.

I'm scared, what if someone else opens the door, or what if i came all this way and shes not even home..?

I walk up the doorsteps and hesitantly knock on the door.

I look to the floor nervously. I can hear some television playing from the inside. I feel like she is in there.

It's weird because there's no lights on from the inside, just the tv screen from the glass windows. It's hard to see though.

Suddenly the tv pauses, i nervously take a step back waiting for them to open it.

Then a voice appears from the side of the house

"Jungwon??"

.