3

You awake the next morning slightly confused of your whereabouts. Something warm is pressed to the front of your body and as you pull back slightly you find yourself staring into Giyu's back. Your left arm is wrapped loosely around his waist while your face was buried between his shoulder blades only moments ago. Luckily you woke before him.

You slowly pull away before moving to put your haori on along with the belt holding your blades. The sun is still rising meaning there is plenty of time to get to your destination before night. Sighing, you glance down at Giyu who is peacefully sleeping, his lips parted slightly as soft breaths leave him. Part of you just wants to let him rest but the other half knows you have a mission to do. So, you pull your foot back and kick him in the leg.

The water hashira startles awake as he shoots up into a sitting position, his eyes wide as he stares up at you. "Rise and shine, sweetheart. We've got places to be." He quietly grumbles in response as he stands up, his yukata pulled open slightly to reveal his pale chest. You look away quickly as you exit the room deciding it would be better to wait for him outside.

A short amount of time passes before he joins you, now properly dressed in his split haori. You walk along in silence heading west once again down the stretching dirt road. Neither of you say anything for quite some time, both of you simply enjoying the peace as you walk next to each other. Birds chirp all around you as they fly through the sky and rest in trees, their beautiful songs just making it that much more serene.

"This is your first mission as a hashira, correct?" Giyu breaks the silence as he speaks up, surprising you slightly. He didn't really strike you as the type to start conversations.

"Yes. Though, the only real difference is that I have a partner this time. I've only ever fought alone before so I hope I don't get in your way."

"There is a good chance that there will be multiple demons. As long as we both focus on our own fights it should be fine." He voice is as emotionless as ever as he speaks, his eyes facing forward. Part of you wonders if there's a specific reason you were partnered with him out of all of the others. He seems to prefer being alone much like you.

Neither of you say anything the rest of the trip, choosing to simply enjoy the silence while you have it. A soft orange glow covers the sky as the sun begins to set and you can see your destination growing closer in the distance. A strange ominous aura surrounds the village and you can't help but to get shivers down your spine as you look over it.

You both pause at the outskirts of the village as you glance around the empty streets. Every home is dark with boards covering the windows- probably their attempt at keeping the demons out. Giyu makes his way to the left while you split off to the right choosing to search from the outside first before meeting in the center. Surely one of you will find the demon before it has a chance to attack any more young boys.

You keep your hand tight around the handle of your blade while the other runs across the brick walls of the surrounding buildings. There's a deep feeling of dread in the air which makes it feel as if you're suffocating on your own breath. However many demons are here it's certain that they have killed many just from the feeling of death everywhere.

A shadow passes by your view to the left, catching your attention as you turn to stare down the alleyway. There's a young boy on the ground, unconscious as his body is pulled by shadows further into the darkness. You take off in a sprint as you chase after him, your sword drawn and ready as you launch yourself towards the child.

Your sword stabs down into the shadow pulling a hiss from it as you scoop up the boy, hopping back far enough to keep him safe from the demon. The shadow swirls on the ground before morphing, a rather small demon taking its place as it crouches down on all fours. A long slithery tongue slips from its lips as it glares at you with clear hatred.

"You took my meal!" It's voice is high pitched as it speaks causing you to cringe slightly.

"This child is not for you to eat." You set the boy gently on the ground before taking a defensive stance in front of him. You'll have to protect him as best as possible until there's an opening to end the demon. "Haven't you ate enough already? I don't think eating little boys will help you grow any bigger with that pathetic body."

"Pathetic?!" It hisses once more as it digs its nails into the ground. "Those little boys are sure to make me stronger! They all taste so sweet and delicious too! I'm starting to wonder if you would taste the same, demon slayer."

"I'm sure my taste is far too good for the likes of you." The demon seems to have enough with your taunting as it forms back into a shadow, slithering quickly across the ground towards you. You keep only one blade drawn knowing that you'll likely need your other hand empty to grab the boy if the demon goes for him.

You can feel the shadows around you moving as you hold your stance, your eyes flickering quickly as you watch every movement around you. Your reflexes force you backwards as you dodge an attack, the sharp tendril made of shadow stabbing into the ground instead. A few more shoot out at you in quick succession forcing you to move even further back.

Your attention is drawn to the boy on the ground as he begins to groan, clearly starting to wake up. A tendril shoots out towards him in attempt to keep him unconscious but you manage to get to him just in time. A hiss of pain leaves your lips as a large gash forms across the arm cradling the boy, blood slowly dripping onto the ground as you stay crouched. This isn't going to end well.

"What's this?" The demon reforms, a wild look in its eyes as drool pools from its twisted mouth. "A marechi? How rare! It must truly be my lucky day." It's focus is entirely on you now is it stares at your bloody arm, it's tongue flickering out as it's continues to salivate wildly. It truly is a disgusting sight.

You leave the boy laying on the ground as you stand up, pulling out your second blade as you face the demon. It's highly unlikely that the demon will go after the boy now with such a rare treat standing right in front of it which means you can focus on fighting now.

You pull air into your lungs as you prepare yourself, your body feeling light as begin to use your technique. "Sixth form: rumble and flash." Blinding light surrounds you as you unleash the long range attack, your swords swinging in quick succession as lightning flies towards your opponent. The move is too fast for the demon to dodge, and once the dust settles you're met with the sight of it in multiple pieces on the ground while it's dismembered head stares at you in shock.

The demon slowly fades away until there is nothing left leaving you alone in the alley with the semi unconscious boy. You sigh, placing your swords away before turning to pull the child into your arms in order to return him to his home. Your nose scrunches up slightly as his body pushes against the wound on your arm but you push the pain away as you begin walking back to the main street.

"You're injured." Giyu appears next to you suddenly, his dull eyes flickering over your bleeding arm before settling on the boy you're carrying.

"It's nothing." You shrug your shoulders in response. "Where were you?"

"There was another demon on the other side of the village. It seems we were right to assume there would be more than one." You nod in understanding as you approach a random home. The village is small so it's likely that whoever lives here knows the boy and his family.

A young woman cracks open the door at the sound of Giyu knocking, her eyes widening as she spots the young boy in your arms. Very few words are exchanged as she takes him from you, thanking you for saving the village before shutting the door.

"We should go to a nearby Wisteria house to get your arm treated before heading back to the estate." You hum in agreement as you follow him out of the village, this time taking a different road. It will lead you to a resting place but it's a bit out of the way of your actual destination. Though, you still follow along knowing that leaving the injury untreated would only make matters worse.

The trip goes quick and soon you're bandaged, rested and ready to go once again. Just in time too as your owl flies into the room, a letter tied neatly to its leg. There's another mission already and it seems this one will be even more difficult.

Muzan has been spotted in the mountains.

~~~~~
Word Count: 1609