22

A sudden knock at your front door drags your attention away from your book, your brows furrowed a bit as you wonder who it could possibly be. Marking your place in the book you stand up before heading to answer the door. Upon sliding it open you're met with Rengoku- well, Kyojuro as he had asked to be called. You'd be lying if you said you were surprised to see him.

"Kyojuro? What are you doing here?"

He smiles brightly as he places his hands on his hips. "I came to ask you to join me on a date."

Well, at least he's up front about it this time. You can't help but to let out a little chuckle with a small shake of your head, amused at how undeterred he can be. "I guess I can let you have a few hours of my time."

His eyes widen slightly in surprise that you actually agreed before it quickly turns to excitement. "Then let us go!" He grabs your hand as he practically drags you out of your house, barely giving you enough time to shut the door behind you. He only slows down once you're both on the dirt path heading towards who knows where, his larger hand still wrapped around yours.

"I'm surprised you agreed to the date." Kyojuro admits, glancing at you from the corner of his eye. "I was certain you would turn me down."

You smile softly as you stare down at the ground, softly kicking a few pebbles as you walk. "If I'm being honest, if you had asked me a few days ago I would have said no. But, lately I've been more open to getting closer to people. It started with Shinobu and Mitsuri dragging me off to spend time with them. I actually had a lot of fun with them, and decided that getting to know all of you may not be as bad as I thought."

"I'm glad the girls were able to get you to finally open up." He gives your hand a soft squeeze.

"I am, too." You turn to look at him, finding him to already be looking your way. Your heart skips a beat as you make eye contact, though you're quick to push the feeling away. You want to take everything slow, and feeling this way on the first date is the opposite of slow. Sighing, you reluctantly pull your gaze away to look around at the slowly changing scenery. "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise!" He sounds a bit excited as he begins to walk a bit faster, obviously wanting to get to the mystery location already. You laugh lightly as you try to keep up with him, finding yourself to already be having fun despite the official date not yet starting. He takes a sudden right into the tree line, carefully and skillfully dodging trees and roots as he guides you.

Breaking through into a clearing, you're met with quite the sight. Flowers cover the area, flowing gently in the breeze as the sun shines down on them through an opening in the treetops. Laying in the middle of the clearing is a blanket with a basket on it, and you're quick to figure out what exactly the date is.

He leads you over to the blanket, still holding your hand as you both sit down. Upon realizing he can't unpack the picnic with one hand, he reluctantly releases your hand. The first thing he pulls out are wooden cups before pulling out a corked bottle of what is more than likely tea. Setting the items aside, he begins to pull out multiple bentos of food, laying them out as he takes off the lids to reveal an assortment of delicious meals.

"You must really like food." You smile in amusement, looking at the amount of food that is capable of feeding a whole family. "If we count the first time we went out to eat together as a date, then that means both of our dates have revolved around eating."

"I'm always happy to enjoy a good meal!" He laughs heartily. "Perhaps on our next date we can do something different if you are growing tired of eating with me."

You shake your head, picking up one of the cups as he pours your drink for you. "I have no complaints about eating on every date."

"Does that mean you're saying you're alright with going on more dates in the future?" His eyes seem to shine as he looks at you, a certain hope glistening in them.

"Yes, Kyojuro. I'm saying that I will be more than happy to go on more dates with you in the future. Though, I hope you understand that the others will likely want me to go on dates with them as well."

You take a sip of your drink as you watch him sit there with an almost sad smile before it softens a bit. "I know the other Hashira are interested in you much like I am. And I know that you might want to give them a chance to win your heart, as well. I won't complain if you agree to date them while dating me. In the end, your happiness matters to me above all else. I can only try my best until you make your choice."

You stare at him with slightly widened eyes, a bit shocked at his rather mature view on the entire situation. Your heart beats a bit faster as you begin to see him in a different light, and you can't help the happiness swelling in your heart. Biting your lip, you mentally debate with yourself for a second before leaning forward to press a chaste kiss against his cheek. His face lights bright red, his eyes practically bulging out of his head as he stares straight ahead.

"Thank you for making me feel better about everything. I was scared that you would hate me for wanting to give the others a chance at the same time." You turn away, embarrassed about your rather bold move.

Kyojuro slowly calms down from his shocked state before turning to smile softly at you. Reaching over, he gently grips your chin before turning your head to force you to look at him, his eyes trailing over your face before lingering on your lips for a bit longer. "I could never hate you, (Y/N)."

You almost think he's going to kiss you until he pulls away, instead picking up his chopsticks as he begins to eat. You follow his lead, taking small bites of the many different dishes that all taste amazing. Conversation comes easily after that as the both of you take the time to get to know each other better. Hours pass by until the sun is low in the sky, almost kissing the horizon when the both of you decide to call it a day.

Kyojuro offers to walk you home but you deny it, wanting to take the time to think things over. He nods in understanding as he presses a soft kiss to your forehead before bidding you farewell. Sighing, you watch him slowly disappear into the distance before turning to walk the opposite direction to head home. A soft smile is on your face as you think about the day, replaying every moment in your head. Perhaps these happy moments really are worth all of the pain in the end.

~~~~~~~

Word Count: 1249