5

"You're injured." Shinobu's voice sends a shiver down your spine as you stand before her. She's smiling with her eyes closed but it's quite obvious she's upset.

"It's nothing, don't worry about it." You walk past her and into the butterfly estate as you head towards your temporary room. She follows after you in silence which only makes you more uncomfortable. "It's already been cleaned and looked at so you don't need to bother with it."

"I'm not going to leave you alone until you allow me to properly treat it. Besides, this is a good opportunity to teach you the basics in medicine practice." She watches as you set your swords down on your bedside table before stripping yourself of your haori, leaving you in your short sleeve uniform jacket. Blood is already beginning to leak through the bandages on your arm which simply makes the older girl sigh as she shakes her head.

You watch as she exits the room only to return a few moments later with a tray of supplies. She motions towards the bed which you hesitantly sit on as she sits in a chair across from you, her small cold hands moving to remove the bandage from your arm. She frowns as she looks down at the large gash, examining it before rinsing a cloth out in a bowl of water to cleanse the dried blood. You hiss slightly in pain at the feeling but remain still as you watch her work. She explains exactly what she's doing and how to properly do it as she works and soon enough you have a freshly stitched injury with a clean bandage over it.

"Where's Giyu?" Her voice is slightly harsh as she speaks. "He was on the mission with you, right?"

"If you're trying to blame him for the injury there's no point. We were split up to fight different demons and I got hurt protecting a kid." You lean back in the bed, a groan of satisfaction leaving your lips as your body finally relaxes.

"You were both gone for longer than I expected." She sets the tray of supplies to the side as she leans forward, her eyes scanning over your exhausted form. "Did something else happen?"

You hesitate for a moment before finally deciding to tell her the truth- well, part of it. "There was a sighting of Muzan at a mountain a little ways from here. We were sent to check it out but didn't find anything."

"Muzan, huh?" Her eyes light up slightly at the information. "I wonder why he was there. I haven't heard of a sighting of him in a long time."

"I have no idea." You shrug, being completely honest with her. "When we got there an entire family was slaughtered. He didn't even bother eating them or anything, just left them there in a bloody mess."

"Any survivors?" She already knows the answer but asks regardless. You simply shake your head as you decide against telling her about the boy and his demon sister. If you mention them she's bound to ask even more questions that you won't have answers to.

She gives your hand a gentle pat before grabbing the tray and leaving so you can rest. You're thankful for the silence as you roll onto your side to stare at the wall, exhaustion taking over. Two missions in such a short amount of time can really take a toll on your body even if you didn't really do much. Plus, you're mentally tired from talking to so many people in such a short amount of time. In all these years the only person you've ever been close with was master Kuwajima. The man practically raised you after all.

You've never known your real family. You have no idea if you had any siblings, aunts, uncles or cousins. All you know is that your parents died shortly after you were born which left you in the care of strangers. You were passed from home to home seeing as nobody wanted to take full responsibility for you. It wasn't until you were fourteen that Kuwajima found you and took you in, teaching you everything you know now.

He never did tell you why he chose you. All he ever said was that you deserved a chance at something better and that you should have the strength to make your own path in life.

You've never once thought about your real family either. Kuwajima was all you ever needed so why waste time thinking of people you don't even know? He never asked about them either, assuming you either didn't know or didn't want to talk about it. In his mind you would approach him on your own terms. Yet, in the three years that he has raised you, you've never once spoken about your past. And you probably never will.

A knock at your door pulls you from your thoughts as you roll over, pushing yourself out of the bed to answer whoever it is. Aoi stands on the other side of the doorway with a gentle smile on her face as she looks up at you, a bowl of steaming noodles in her hands.

"Welcome back from your mission." She hands you the soup before bowing. "Please enjoy this food I made for you. You need to regain all of your strength quickly so you can get back to work."

"Of course, Aoi." You gently pat her head before bidding her farewell and sliding the door shut. The young girl often brings you dinner and breakfast whenever you're in the estate just to make sure you're eating properly. She noticed that when you first arrived you mostly stayed to yourself and kept out of everyone's way, including avoiding the kitchen and eating meals. It's been less than a week but the poor girl has taken it into her hands to take care of you as much as possible.

You're thankful for her generosity and kindness but sometimes you wish she would worry for others instead. It's not like you'll die from skipping a few meals anyways. All of the girls here are too kind and it makes it hard to keep your distance. The pain of losing others hurts and you would never want anyone to go through that because of you.

Because there will come a day when you don't come back and nobody will be able to do anything about it besides grieve. And you aren't worth that pain.

~~~~~
Word Count: 1086