11

You're awoken by someone roughly shaking your shoulder, flying up into a sitting position out of surprise. Sanemi stands above you with a scowl on his face obviously annoyed at having to wake you up. You mutter an apology as you collect yourself before moving to exit the train with him. At this point, you are only about halfway to your destination. 

"We'll have to walk for about two days before we reach the next town where we will take a boat the rest of the way." Sanemi explains as he walks off, not bothering to wait for you. 

"Sounds lovely." There's a slight sarcasm in your voice which definitely does not go unnoticed by the wind hashira as he turns to shoot you a glare. When he turns back around you stick your tongue out at him, mocking him. 

Silence settles over you both as you walk along the path, the sun slowly rising in the sky with each passing hour. It's surprisingly peaceful as you watch different birds flutter throughout the cloudless sky. It's rather sad knowing that the town trapped in perpetual winter hasn't experienced days like this in a long time. 

Demons come up with such interesting skills, you believe. It's not often you run into one with blood demon art, but more often than not it's rather impressive. The shadow demon from your mission with Giyu was weak but its demon art was still unique. It would've been a strong opponent if it knew how to properly use it to its advantage. Whatever demon is in the village you're heading to must be strong if it's able to use its art over such a vast area along with surviving all this time while doing so. 

"Let's rest over there for a bit." Sanemi cuts into your thoughts as he points towards a small clearing in the trees. You hum in agreement, following after him as he leads the way. 

You plop down in the grass, leaning against a tree as you close your eyes. You don't plan on sleeping any but it's still nice to rest your eyes. Sanemi sits across from you, staring off into the distance with a frown on his face. 

He hates to admit it but spending time with you actually isn't all that bad. You're quiet most of the time which makes things easier. He's sure that if you were more like Rengoku he would've abandoned you by now to go do the mission by himself. 

His eyes trail over to your resting form, taking in your features. You look peaceful as you sit there with your eyes closed. Part of him wishes he could relax like that but it's almost impossible for him. He's always tense, ready for anything. 

"Are you alright?" You question, having opened your eyes to the sight of him staring at you with furrowed brows. 

His eyes widen slightly as he realizes he zoned out while looking at you and that you caught him. "I'm fine." He grumbles the head, turning to look the other way out of embarrassment. You quirk a brow, not really believing him. Regardless, you choose not to pester him any further. 

You both rest for about an hour before continuing on your way, planning to walk through the night to shorten the time. He walks slightly ahead of you leaving you alone with your thoughts once again. 

Being left to think to yourself makes time go by a lot faster and soon you're standing at a dock. You both agreed to keep going once the sun came back up, choosing to simply rest on the boat ride to your destination. A young boy stands on the boat, greeting you both with a bow. Apparently, he will be the one rowing you both across the water.

Sanemi grunts as he sits down, leaning back to lay down with his arms under his head. You lay down as well, staring up into the darkening sky. The rocking of the boat soon puts you to sleep, your body relaxing. Sanemi glances over at your sleeping form before rolling over to face the other way, slowly falling asleep himself.

At some point in the night, you wake up disoriented and nauseous. You resist the urge to throw up as you cradle your knees to your chest, looking out over the water. The moon reflects in the water, shining brightly against the darkness. You can tell that there's still quite a few hours until the sun comes up, which means that there's even more time until you return to land.

Sighing, you rub the sleep from your eyes before standing up. You make your way to the other side of the boat where the boy is, sitting across from him. "Aren't you tired?" You question him with a soft voice, not wanting to wake Sanemi.

"I'm alright, slayer-san." The boy shakes his head, giving you a small smile. "I do this quite often, so I'm used to it."

"Well, if you feel like you need any rest, please let me know. I will gladly take over for you." The boy agrees to do so but you have a feeling he won't. He seems like the stubborn type.

Silence falls over the boat once again, the only sounds being the occasional splash of waves hitting the boat and Sanemi's light snoring. It's peaceful out here on the water despite the constant rocking making you feel a bit sick. You couldn't imagine doing something like this every day. Though, you suppose you would probably get used to it to the point of no longer getting nauseous. 

It makes you wonder how long the young boy has been doing this. He looks no older than thirteen with his chubby cheeks and small stature. It's most likely that it's a family business that he helps with in order to make money for them. If so, he must be a very good son. His politeness reminds you of the boy from the mountains which is strange since you haven't thought about him or his sister in a while.

You wonder how they're doing. There's a slim chance that either of them are even still alive, especially with the girl being a demon. But there's also a chance that they're out there somewhere training hard to become slayers. 

Maybe once you return home, you'll write a letter to Giyu's master to ask him about them.

~~~~~

Word Count: 1071