17

"Here's the things you asked for." You set the two bags down on Shinobu's desk. Obanai had split off from you at some point during the walk back in order to go home so now it's just you.

"Thank you for getting it for me." She opens the bags to take out the items in order to store them properly. Once everything is put away, she turns to you, her brows furrowing slightly. "What happened?" She steps forward, gently taking your arm into her soft hands. You hadn't even noticed a bruise formed where the man had grabbed you.

"Some guy got a little handsy with me." You frown, inspecting the dark bruise. "He was quite strong. Stronger than me, surprisingly. I couldn't pull away from him at all."

"That's odd." Shinobu releases your arm before sitting down at her desk. You sit down on a chair off to her side, watching as she begins writing random things in her notebook. "It's not every day we come across people who are stronger than us. I'm curious as to who he was."

"All I know is that he was drunk, disgusting, and strong. I have no interest in knowing anything else about him."

Shinobu pauses her writing as she turns to look at you once again. "Perhaps you're just getting weaker." The girl gives you a teasing smile making you roll your eyes. "It has been nearly three months since you've been on any missions. Have you been training regularly?"

"Yes, I've been training." You refrain from groaning at her question. "Just because some guy ended up being stronger than me doesn't mean I've grown weaker."

"I think it would be beneficial if you trained your muscles more either way. You're skilled when it comes to swords and fighting, but your strength is a bit lacking. You mostly rely on your quick and fluid movements to outpace your opponent's. If they're able to match your pace, then it'd come down to whoever can overpower the other. If you were to go against me in a physical fight you'd easily win, but with the other Hashira it comes down to whether or not you can outmaneuver them to take them down before they get a chance to attack."

You purse your lips as you think, slowly mulling over her words. You're strong but compared to some of the others your strength is practically nothing. She's correct in saying that you need to improve your strength, the only question being how. Training on your own can only get you so far but you also don't wish to bother anyone else with it.

"I'll think about it." You get up to leave the room, ready to return home. "It depends on how much free time I end up having." You say goodbye to her before exiting, making your way back home.

Walking down the path, you spot a familiar person. The Mist Hashira stands in the middle of the dirt road, staring up at the sky with interest. It's a rather cloudy day so you can only assume he's looking at the different shapes.

You stop walking to stand next to the younger Hashira, moving your gaze up to the sky to watch the slowly drifting clouds as well. Neither of you speak for a good few moments as you simply bask in the warmth of the sun that's barely peaking through the clouds.

"I wonder if it will storm soon." The boy suddenly speaks up, pulling your attention towards him.

You glance across the sky before spotting darker clouds in the distance. "I'm sure it will. It's starting to get closer to the rainy season."

"I like the rain." His emotionless eyes move to watch an animal scurry by. "It's rather peaceful."

"I prefer storms. Lightning makes the dark sky look rather beautiful in my opinion."

Muichiro remains silent as he gets lost in his thoughts once again. He rarely focuses on one thing for long, so you don't take offense to him suddenly ignoring you. Instead, you wish him a good day and warn him to stay safe and dry during the storm before walking off to head home.

Muichiro watches as you leave before turning around to head where he was originally going before getting distracted. As you walk, you find yourself occasionally glancing at the sky to see just how close the dark clouds have gotten. There are more than likely a few hours before the storm clouds reach your destination.

Upon arriving home, you change into something lighter and easier to move in before grabbing your blades to head outside. There's a light sprinkle as you stand in the middle of your backyard, your eyes closed as your face is turned upwards towards the clouds. The feeling of the cold water dripping down your skin relaxes you, your muscles loosening up and your mind clearing of everything that could possibly be troubling you.

Once the rain begins to pick up, pouring heavily from the sky, you open your eyes and adjust your grip on your swords. Your soaked clothes weigh you down slightly as you practice your techniques, your breathing coming out in puffs due to the freezing air. Despite the goosebumps growing across your body, you continue to practice.

You go through your breathing techniques for hours without stopping. Your body is shaking from exertion and the chilliness of the air blowing across your soaked body. The rain is still coming down heavily as you collapse to the ground, your swords discarded as you lay on your back staring up at the pitch black above you. Every now and then, lightning streaks across the sky, momentarily lighting up your exhausted form.

You lay there until the storm finally stops and you can no longer stand feeling frozen. Sighing heavily, you push yourself off of the ground before grabbing your swords and heading inside. You cleanse your swords of the mud sticking to them before storing them away properly. After warming up some water for yourself, you strip yourself of your disgusting clothes before washing the filth from your body.

By the time you're done, your eyes are barely able to stay open. It's been quite some time since you've pushed your limits resulting in your body feeling like lead, your feet dragging as you force yourself to move towards your bed. The second you collapse onto the futon, you pass out, the only thought on your mind being that Shinobu was correct in saying you needed to train more.

~~~~~~
Word Count: 1156
Just a short chapter for today. I decided to give Muichiro a little bit of attention since I have yet to mention him in this story.

Also, just a friendly reminder that I have not read the manga, nor have I watched the newest season so please refrain from commenting spoilers without putting a warning beforehand so myself and others can avoid them.