12

You watch as the boy rows away, heading back towards the other side. Moments ago, you arrived at your destination, the frozen town just ahead of you. The sun is still low in the sky, casting shadows over the seemingly empty town making it look even creepier.

Sanemi stands next to you, his hand resting on the hilt of his Nichirin sword as he stares at the town. Neither of you say anything as you watch for any signs of life. Since it's early in the morning the demon will likely be in hiding, meaning you'll have to wait until night for it to make its move. It'll be a long day of waiting.

Without a word, Sanemi begins the trek towards the frozen streets, his eyes flickering between the different buildings. A chill runs down your body as a cool breeze blows through, your haori flapping around you. Sanemi, however, doesn't seem to be affected by the cold temperatures as he keeps walking, his uniform still unbuttoned. The man is either crazy, isn't affected by the weather, or too damn stubborn to admit you were right.

"There aren't any tracks in the snow." You point out, looking at the ground around you. The only disturbances caused to the snow are your own footsteps, everything else perfectly pristine. "Whoever lives here hasn't been outside in a while."

He stops moving as he looks into the window of a random house. It's completely dark inside with no signs of movement, which only makes you even more uneasy. The entire town seems abandoned, the constant winter likely having driven everyone away. There's a small chance they were all killed, but somebody requested you here which is what makes you confused.

Whoever wrote the letter is either in the town or they sent it after leaving. At this point you're even considering the possibility of the demon sending the letter to lure you both here in order to kill you. If that's the case, then the demon must be a fool.

"These homes have been empty for a while." Sanemi starts walking once again, you following after him. "Whoever lived here is long gone, and likely never coming back."

"We should find a place to wait until dark. It'll take far too long to look for it during the day." Sanemi nods in agreement before leading you towards a less run down home.

The building smells strongly of dust and mildew, making you crinkle your nose in disgust. Despite being abandoned, the home looks untouched as if the family plans to return soon. Sanemi gets to work on building a fire to warm you both up while you wander around, searching the different rooms. Luckily, you manage to find some blankets to use that are relatively clean from being stored in a cupboard.

You sit on the floor next to the fire, curling up with the blanket around you. The other blanket you found lays next to you just in case Sanemi decides to use it. He's currently sitting across from you, staring into the flames as he thinks about who knows what. His face is relaxed, eyes half-lidded making him look peaceful. He looks surprisingly handsome as the fire illuminates him, casting shadows across his features. 

You divert your gaze, staring into the fire instead. The last thing you need is for him to catch you staring and questioning you about it. Despite claiming to not be interested in relationships, you still find yourself thinking about them. Those thoughts come around more often whenever you're around the other hashira for some reason, yet you always push them away.

You need to focus on what's important.

The flickering flames slowly lull you to sleep, your body slumping down against the floor. Staying up on the boat ride over left you rather tired, so it's no surprise. Your rest is dreamless as per usual, your mind swimming in nothing but darkness.

Hours pass by before you're awoken by Sanemi. "It's time." He tells you, standing above you. It's completely dark in the room, the fire having gone out some time ago. You shrug the blanket off of yourself as you stand up, readjusting your Nichirin swords on your hips.