14

A few weeks have passed by since your mission with Sanemi, and the man has refused to acknowledge anything that happened during it. You're completely fine with his choice since you don't want the other Hashira finding out about you bathing with him. The last thing you need is them either getting jealous or teasing you about it.

It's rather early in the morning when Yoru flies through your open door, landing on your shoulder as it drops a letter from its beak onto your lap. You hum in curiosity as you pick it up, assuming that it's yet another mission. You find the assumption to be incorrect when your eyes scan the letter quickly, finding that it's an invitation from Rengoku to train at his estate.

You've never trained with one of the other Hashira before, so the offer is rather tempting. It's a great way to further progress your skills, as well. It doesn't take long for you to decide to accept the offer, sending a letter back to Rengoku before getting changed. 

The walk to his estate doesn't take too long. You arrive after only an hour, finding a young boy outside waiting for you. He looks exactly like Rengoku and you can only assume he's his little brother. 

"Good morning." The boy greets you with a bow. "I'm Senjuro. My brother is waiting for you in the yard."

You greet the little boy as well, introducing yourself before following him. The estate is rather gorgeous from the outside, much larger than your own. You admire its beauty as you walk, a bit distracted by it. You nearly run into Senjuro as he suddenly stops, turning to bow once more before taking his leave. It's then that you realize you've arrived at your destination.

Your eyes instantly land on Rengoku, the man shirtless and drenched in sweat as he trains. He swings a wooden sword through the air as he practices different stances, the movements fluid almost as if he's dancing. You stand there in silence as you watch him, not wanting to bother him when he looks so focused. Plus, the view is rather nice if you're being completely honest.

"Ah, you're here." Rengoku stops as he finally takes notice of you. He reaches up, pushing his bangs away from his face. The rest of his hair is tied back to keep it out of the way. 

"Good morning, Rengoku." You walk off to the side to pick up a training sword. "Have you been practicing long?"

"Only a few hours." He smiles brightly, glad to finally have someone to practice with. "Don't expect this to be easy because of that, though. I still have plenty of energy."

You surprise him with a smile of you own, the sight taking his breath away momentarily. "I expect nothing less from you."

You move to stand in front of him, lowering yourself into the proper stance. He gets ready as well, raising the wooden sword in preparation. He launches himself forward rather quickly, catching you slightly off guard. At the last second you manage to raise your sword, blocking his as it comes swinging down. You push back, forcing him to pull away.

He swings again, this time the sword aiming towards your left side. You jump back just in time for the sword to miss you by only an inch. As he's still swinging, you rush forward for your own attack. His sword blocks yours easily, pushing it away. It continues like this for a while before he somehow manages to force your sword from your hands, sending it flying off to the side. 

Slightly ticked off about that, you rush him without it. His eyes widen as he throws his own sword to the side, ready to fight you hand to hand. Your fist flies forward towards his face, him catching it in his own hand. He manages to catch your other fist as well, his hold tight. You kick your leg up, pushing your foot roughly against his chest as you force yourself away from him.

You launch forward once again, this time aiming for his stomach. He blocks, your fist connecting with his forearm instead. You throw blow after blow at him, forcing him to be on the defensive. You manage to land a solid hit on him, stunning him slightly. Taking this as your opportunity, you swing once again. He manages to catch your wrist, but the lingering shock from the last hit forces him off balance. He goes tumbling backwards, pulling you down with him as he collapses against the ground.

You both hit the ground with a grunt with you landing on top of him. Your face is pressed against his chest as you try to collect yourself, having no expected to go tumbling down with him. Rengoku seems to recollect himself much faster than you, his face burning bright red as he realizes the position you're both in. His hands move to your waist, the action pulling you back to reality. 

Pulling slightly away from him, you stare down at him with your face only inches from his. Your own face turns red as you meet his darkened gaze, his eyes trailing over your face before landing on your lips. The thought of kissing him crosses your mind and you're half tempted to give in to it. Yet, as the man inches slowly forward to close the gap you find yourself panicking. You quickly sit up, now straddling him with his hands still on your waist. He sits up as well, your chests pressed together as he takes in your flustered appearance. 

"Do I make you nervous?" He whispers, the quietness of it surprising you. You nod, looking down to avoid his gaze. "I'm sorry. I just find it rather difficult to control myself around you."

"I don't understand what you and the others find so appealing about me." You mutter, slightly furrowing your brows.

"What is there not to like?" Rengoku questions, chuckling lightly. The action sends vibrations through your own body, your chests still pressed together. "You're an astonishing woman, (Y/N). You're gorgeous, strong, and you never seem to have trouble speaking what's on your mind. There are many qualities that make you attractive."

You finally look up, making eye contact with him. "You really think that?"

"Of course." He reaches up, swiping his thumb gently across your bottom lip. "I find everything about you rather alluring."

You don't get much of a chance to answer as his brother comes back, the both of you quickly pulling away from each other before standing up. Senjuro announces that it is time for lunch, motioning for the both of you to quickly come inside. Rengoku leaves you with his younger brother as he goes to prepare some food for all of you.

"Are you and my brother in a relationship?" Senjuro questions, looking at you with hope. You shake your head making the boy frown. "Why not? My brother talks about you quite often and it's obvious he has feelings towards you."

"Your brother is a great man deserving of so much. I don't think I'm good enough for your brother, nor do I think I can give him what he desires." You give the boy an apologetic smile. He opens his mouth to speak once again only to quiet down once his brother returns. 

The two boys talk quite a bit during the meal while you remain mostly silent, only pitching in every now and then. It doesn't take long for all of the food to disappear, Rengoku eating most of it. Once lunch is over you decide to take your leave, the older brother walking you to the gate.

"Thank you for inviting me today, Rengoku." You give him a soft smile. 

"Please, call me Kyojuro." He smiles brightly, crossing his arms over his still bare chest. You nod in agreement before taking your leave, walking down the long dirt road as he watches. The second you're out of sight his smile falls, the boy greatly disappointed about how things played out today. The feeling of you pressed against him replays in his mind as he heads back inside, and he can't help but to mentally curse his brother for ruining the moment.

You, on the other hand, are grateful that his brother came out when he did. If he didn't, you're not entirely sure what would've happened. There's a decent chance you would've let Kyojuro kiss you if he had tried to and that's slightly problematic. Letting him kiss you would only solidify his feelings further which isn't something you want. Giving him hope like that would make him push towards a relationship even more and you're not entirely certain you'd be able to refuse for long. The last thing you need is to break your own promise to yourself.

~~~~~~

Word Count: 1482