Chapter 6

"What took you so long?" They were already at the same spot we split ways when I arrived. It took me five whole minutes to pull myself together. My knees still felt a little weak, but I could already control it.

"I'm sorry, I had a hard time choosing what suits you best."

Roman was looking at his phone and holding the dress he found. There was a lollipop in his mouth, and I don't know if it's because he's feeling the symptoms of withdrawal or he may have thought that I smelled cigarettes in his breath. Either way, that was the last thing I payed attention to.

"Lex, I said bring me some clothes, not mess around and buy food," Shannon looked at Alexa. She didn't mind it anyway, she was used to her. Alexa smiled even though her mouth was full. And then she said, "All three of you brought some clothes anyway, so I figured I'd just give moral support and help you choose," and with that, Shannon sighed.

"And you, why did you only bring one? I said you have to bring two," she then looked at Roman. She placed her hand on her hip and she raised her eyebrow at him.

Roman stuck his phone in his pocket and looked at Shannon. He removed the lollipop from his mouth for a moment. "I think this will suit you best, so I didn't bother looking for anything else," he handed the dress to Shannon. She stared at it for a couple seconds, and then she looked back at him. "Not bad," she muttered, but there was still doubt on her face.

And then they all looked at me and suddenly, I panicked. "You're so pale," Alexa even commented. I kept the dresses I got behind me, thinking that they wouldn't agree on them. I looked at what Shannon got. One is a little black dress and the other one a beige button down that she could pair with her jeans.

"What did you get?" she asked and then she took the dress from me. She studied them carefully. She didn't pay attention much to the halter top white dress, but it felt like her eyes sparkled upon the sight of the maroon dress.

"Damn Aster, this one's daring and sexy," she said, and it was almost like she was thinking of something mischievous that her grin got wider.

Alexa took the dress from her. She swallowed and then remarked, "I thought you're going to dress as decent as possible?" Shannon looked at her. "But that one is just.. I think I want to buy it too," she squinted her eyes at her. "Aster, why did you pick this?"

I panicked for a bit. "Oh! Well, um. It's uhh.." I couldn't find anything to say. Roman's smirk in my peripheral vision even added to the panic I was feeling. He knew why I picked it.

"I thought it was um.. I thought your boyfriend would be happy if he saw you wearing that.." I looked down, fidgeting on the strap of my shoulder bag.

When I looked up, they were all looking at the dresses Shannon was holding, the maroon one from me and the mint green one from him. Alexa took the two clothes Shannon got for herself and put them somewhere. And now it's time to choose.

"Girls, there's something I need to do, I have to go," Roman said out of the blue, looking at his phone. He had broken the lollipop and chewed it, causing a sound, and then he walked away. But before he got far, he looked back and called for Alexa. "Can I borrow her for a while?" she asked the two of us. Shannon was so busy trying to choose, she didn't even hear him. So I just answered him with a nod.

"Perfect," he said, a bit enthusiastic. I even heard Alexa asking him, "what's this about?" to which he replied, "You'll find out when we get there," I saw them walk away until they took a right turn.

When I looked back at Shannon, her expression made me giggle. She was conflicted. The dresses were a complete opposite. The mint green dress Roman got was a bit longer and a-line. The one I got was tight and shorter, so if Shannon would wear it, it would wrap her body and her curves would show. A thought suddenly popped out of my head. We're so opposite that even the dresses we got for Shannon literally contradict. Like light and dark.