Chapter 10

My nose caught a faint smell of mint and cigarettes. I wasn't sure if it was real or not.

"Doll.." there was a distant voice that echoed throughout the void of my subconscious, and it made me sink even deeper into dreamland.

Then the voice spoke again, ever so slowly, faint and gentle, like a lullaby. "Mysterious eyes."

Trying to reach the voice, I tried to open my eyes, and I struggled. I barely even opened them. Though my vision was blurred, I could see a pair of familiar eyes staring at me. They seemed to study every part of my face. Only one person came to my mind upon seeing them.

"Godfrey...?" I said, my voice sounding faint and weak. Roman's influence was so strong that his presence even manifested in my dreams.

My subconscious eyelids felt heavy once more, and I was back into the void of dreamland. And then, I was fully awakened by a light tap on my shoulder. My vision welcomed three faces. Shannon, Clyden, and Alexa.

My eyelids still felt a little heavy, but I managed to open them full. "Mckenna," Shannon's serious voice made my sleepiness vanish in an instant.

She and Alexa helped me stand up because I was feeling a little groggy. "What entered your mind that you decided to sleep here, practically alone and vulnerable?" she scolded me like she was my mother. I put my book inside my bag and closed it.

"Well it's totally fine! She was being accompanied the whole time by Go-OW! What was that for?" Alexa didn't get to finish what she was about to say because Shannon stepped on her foot.

I looked at them curiously. "Is there something that I should know?" I asked them. Clyden opened his mouth and was about to say something, but she was stopped by Shannon's glare. "Oh, it's nothing," Shannon smiled at me. "Let's go, I want some ice cream."

We walked along with the other students. Then, I saw Roman's maroon classic car driving away. It made me remember what happened in the classroom earlier, and I felt my cheeks get warm.

Alexa clung onto my arm. "Thank god you're here. It was really hard being a third wheel," Alexa sighed, and we both looked in front of us. Shannon's arms were wrapped around Clyden, and his arm was on her shoulders. "That looks so gross," I giggled at her remark.

"I can hear you Lex," Shannon looked behind us momentarily. "Just get a boyfriend already!"

"I don't want to be as cringy as you!" Alexa yelled at her, causing some students to look our way. I hit her arm lightly, and she only giggled in return.

We ate some corndogs and and ice cream and after that, we all went home. I immediately changed into an oversized hoodie and shorts and then I cooked some mac and cheese for dinner. I took the pizza out of the ref and microwaved it. When it was all set, I put them on the living room table and opened the tv.

I comfortably sat on the couch, and I ate a spoonful of my mac and cheese. I was halfway of finishing it while watching tv when my phone buzzed. It was a number that wasn't registered.

Unknown: hey

I ignored it and continued to watch. I finished eating the mac and cheese and then took a bite of the pizza slice I microwaved. And then my phone buzzed for a few times.

Unknown: hey Aster

Unknown: register this #

Unknown: aren't you going to reply?

Out of confusion and annoyance, I replied.

Me: who's this?

After a few seconds, the unregistered number replied.